Design & Decor in Madison>Question Details

Greg, Home Buyer in 60613

Suburbs: Hardwood Floors or Carpeting in the Bedrooms?

Asked by Greg, 60613 Thu Jan 15, 2009

Hello: my parents have a smaller 3 bedroom 50 year old house in Waunakee that we are making some improvements to prior to listing. I wanted to hear from brokers, for suburban homes, if we should refinish the hard-wood floors in the bedrooms or put in new carpeting? I would think go with the refinish if we were in more of an urban area, do families want carpet in the bedrooms? The house is near a school so it would likely be

Answers

6
Greg,

If allergies are in question.....hardwood or tile all the way. If there are pets involved hardwood or tile again would be the best choice.

Carpeting is less expensive and creates a warmer feeling. From a resale perspective wood or tile will hold up better and show better as well.

Our advice is to refinish the hardwood floors and use area rugs to accomplish the same effect as carpeting and enjoy the best of both worlds.

Hi Greg,

I would definitely go with refinishing the hard wood floors. Wood floors typically show terrific online and buyers are still looking for this feature.

Selling a home in a "Buyers Market" is a lot about making your home (or in this case your parents home) stand out from the rest. Refinishing wood floors is one way to do this. If you want some great ideas on how to aggresively market homes in Waunakee check out our Madison Real Estate Show blog (link below). Our 2009 Online Marketing Plan is available for download on the home page right column. Terrific ideas on what you should look for in the marketing of your parent's home.

Oh and if you need some help with figuring out Waunakee's Real Estate Market pricing wise check out- http://www.JVMarketSnapshot.com

Take care,

John & Vicky
Greg,

If it can be refinshed properly, I would go with the wood.

I live and specialize in Waunakee and could view the house if you would like and give you my recommendations for the floors and any other area that would or would not give you a return on your investment, etiher through selling quicker or price. I can also refer several quality local contractors, if needed.

Feel free to contact me through the link below.

Good luck with everything.
My experience is that buyers want hard floors--many are really concerned about carpets being unhealthy. of course,i live in South louisiana where cold floors in winter are not an issue. My experience is that buyers perceive wood floors as being much cleaner than carpet. From personal experience--after katrina--had to replace all floors & chose wood--amazing how everyone's allergies cleared up. In our area a listing that advertises--no carpet--is a big plus!
Dear Greg,
What type of hardwood floors are they? I would also consult a flooring expert and you have Schreffler Custom flooring in Waunakee off of Division St who would do that for you. Wood floors are very attractive in any home. They only time that I would say to cover wood floors up in a home is if they are parkay wood floors. This is my opinion as this flooring style is not in and could detract from the value of the home.
Are the wood floors in the bedrooms only or are they throughout the home? It is hard to say for sure giving that I have nothing to see to give you a true analysis, but as for a general rule I would say to refinish and have that be a main feature of your home.
I have attached a link to a good article about not only finishing wood floors but getting your parents home ready all together.

Charlie Wills
My preference is refinish the floors and add a nice area rug. I have not yet had a buyer that passed up hardwoods for carpeting.