Design & Decor in 21202>Question Details

Martia Rodge…, Other/Just Looking in Baltimore, MD

I want to remodel my house. What are the most important areas to start with in order to bring up the value?

Asked by Martia Rodgers, Baltimore, MD Mon Oct 27, 2008

In order to maximize your sale price, the kitchen and bathrooms would be the places to concentrate. Today's buyers are looking for the upgraded kitchen that opens into the family room. Bathrooms are always a wise choice in updating as well.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 18, 2008
Kitchen and Bathrooms Always Help add value to any home.
Are you still want to remodel your kitchen or windows if yes add me at my email add we can talk about that
Aloha Martia,

Remodeling Magazine publishes and anual report in November comparing construction costs with resale values in over 50 markets nation wide. Traditionally, as it already been pointed out, kitchens and bathrooms get the highest return. Siding and windows score high in most markets, as well, but you should check the local statistics for Baltimore as every market is different. Best wishes.

Hi Martia, I think the answers you have gotten are good solid ones. Obviously, you are remodeling for your own enjoyment and to increase the value of your home when you are ready to sell. One thing you need to be sure of when you do sell is that your realtor posts professional pictures of your home. So many times homeowners have done a fabulous job of remodeling and getting their home ready to sell,and the pictures just don't reflect that. I've had buyers indiscrimately bypass homes due to inferior photos. They do make a difference! I'm not sure when you plan on selling, but I hope you will remember this advice. Good luck to you!

Great question......

From a selling stand point the three highest priorities are:

1. curb appeal-paint, trim, plant, etc

2. kitchen-this is where they all head first, so an updated kitchen will score some points

3. bathrooms-bathrooms that need remodeling can turn people off and "kill the deal"

There are obviously more considerations but we have found that homes that meet these three criteria stand a much better chance of selling.

Hope this helps.

The "Eckler Team"
The previous answers to your questions are good ones. I would second the comment: Don't forget curb appeal. I have had buyers that refuse to look at the home based on the exterior alone, whether it be from photos online, or when we drive up to the home. First impressions do count. Perhaps some updating on the exterior and some landscaping.

See if your agent can get you a copy of the annual Realtor Magazine article on cost vs. value in home re-modeling projects.
Hello Martia, You are thinking correct in focusing on what will bring you value. I would start with adding square footage, Kitchen, Bathrooms, Ceramic Tile, Hardwood floors, Chair and crown railing. I would be carefull on picking items out that are for your enjoyment vs. what will bring dollar value. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 410-610-5614.
Web Reference:

First, concentrate on any problem areas. Do any mechanical, electrical, etc... repairs need to be done? Does the roof need to be replaced? If anything is broken, or close to the end of its life, concentrate on fixing those areas first.

Second, compare your home to other homes in your area that you would be competing against. Do they have more bedrooms, a finished basement, or other finished square footage that your home doesn't have? If so, try to improve your home in these areas so you are comparable to your competition. Storage areas, especially walk-in closets, are always in demand!

Third, remodel your kitchen and bath with amenities and quality fixtures that are ideal, or a little above average for your area. Stick to neutral but don't be afraid to add a little personality, especially if you will be living in the home for a little more time to come.

You could also upgrade landscaping and driveways to improve curb appeal and privacy.

I wish you the best of luck with your home!

[Shannon] of DesigningReality - Home Staging, Real Estate Photography, and Design
Kitchens, baths, added square footage, as well as flooring & paint. Go for nice products & finishes, not the cheapest! Curb appeal is huge too! If you are doing this because you plan on enjoying it, then start with what is most important to you as well as what is the most budget friendly. Good luck, it is so much fun watching your home transform.
There can be no better investment in preparing a house for resale than improving the quality of the kitchen and bathrooms.
I think it depends on what you are planning to do with the house. Are you remodeling just to sell or are you planning on staying in the house for awhile longer? Most remodel's are rather large projects and create only a 75-90% return. If you are planning on upgrades just to sell, then kitchen and bath upgrades-not remodels-will cost you less and give you a greater return. In general if you can get a dollar for dollar return on anything you do that's great. So if you're not going to gain anything, are you sure you want to do it? Painting is about the only thing you can do and make money on it! Good luck.
Web Reference:
kitchen ,baths, anything 'green' or reusable. i find a lot of my buyers are looking for something that is not cookie cutter. but again here you need to be careful not to be too extreme that it is such a one of a kind thing that most people won't like it. But i would also advise that unless you have impeccable taste, you may want to consult with a designer to help you. It can be a lot of work and making everything work together can also be hard.
also, DON"T over improve for your area. Maybe look at what else is for sale and stay within whta is expected. If you have the nicest house on the block, it doesn't mean someone is going to snatch that up.
Stay within budget, and if you are planning on selling soon, make sure you would be able to price it to sell it when the time is right.
read design mags for some good advice to what is popular. maybe concrete counters, nice appliances, etc.

good luck!

Without a doubt, bathrooms and kitchens are very important places to invest remodeling dollars. Depending on the age of your home you may also benefit from replacing the roof and the HVAC system. Adding a deck or finishing a rec room may also give you a good return on your investment.

Before deciding where to invest your time and money though, its always important to consider how long you intend to stay in your home. If you anticipate being there for a longer period of time, then use of higher quality material may be warranted for you to enjoy (ie. granite counter tops, hwd flooring etc.). However if you are uncertain of how long you will stay in the home or think it may be less than 5 years then you may not get the ROI you may want when you sell.

You can visit our website and view our home inprovements page for more valuable information on wise home improvements.
Aesthetics like paint and carpet won't do it. Adding square footage and/or rooms are what increase your home's value.
kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms for interior. exterior is roof, windows, siding and interior mechanics are furnace, electric panel, plumbing. good luck with your remodel.
Web Reference: