Design & Decor in 78727>Question Details

Sabu, Home Buyer in 78759

I like granite and want to do the flooring with granite slab not tiles on my entire first floor. How much it add value to my home per sft.?

Asked by Sabu, 78759 Wed Jan 19, 2011

I like granite . I am planning to use granite(slab not tiles) for flooring . I am in Austin TX. is it desirable to do so?. Does the heat and AC utilities bill will be effected very much. will it be difficult to sell the house if I desire so. How much value it adds to the house. I am planning a 3500 sft house with 2500 first floor.

Before you install any granite on the floor I would suggest that you contact a local realtor and ask for opinion. What does the local market dictates? How is your home compared to similar homes in your subdivision? Do most of them have granite flooring? Here in Dallas on high end homes we see nice hardwood or marble tile.

I hope this helps!
Hi Sabu, I do not agree with any of the answers.. Infact they never sow granite or marble slab installed in a home other than kitchen countertop and bathroom. Most importent you need to get italian or indian marble slabs and people from your country to install it as per your requirment having said that the foundation must be super strong to put huge size slab in this soil. Hope this will help.
I believe this is a huge mistake. Granite is porous, and is not really good for floors, It would scratch a lot, and eventually liquid will go through and you will not be a happy camper. Sealing it probably not an answer.
Go with the flooring materials. There are certain requirements that has to be met, and granite for flooring is hardly a good option.
Ii am not even talking about the cost. But at $40 psf (a giveaway price), you would need a check just for materials for $100,000. And it would be very cheap granite.
I do not believe you would increase value. Probably, the opposite. People would say that they need to replace it, and replacing it would be costly, plus then doing "normal" floor is also an expense, so they would most probably discount the price to do it.
Be careful! We once had marble floors in a bathroom, and it was dangerous when stepping out of the shower!!! lol
Sabu...I agree with many of the answers below. I work here in the Austin area and know the 78759 zip code well (my office used to be there). With that said, I believe granite counters are wonderful and many are quite beautiful, however having granite tiles on the entire first floor would probably not be a good idea regarding the value that you may want to achieve. Someone previously stated that it can be hard on the feet and it is cold so that you must consider and you must also consider anyone purchasing the home (when you do in fact sell) will have these similar thoughts. Have you considered hardwood flooring instead? It is my opinion that you could have a much better return on the money you spend if you put wood floors in versus having granite tiles on the entire first floor. More people will gravitate towards the wood floors than they would towards the granite floors.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. Good luck.
I like granite as well but you must consider how much more it will cost you than a more conservative approach, the value of your neighbors homes [you DON'T want to over improve in comparison to surrounding homes AND most importantly how long do you plan on staying in the home? If you have years of enjoyment planned in this location...I'd go for it. Stone floors are hard on the feet and tend to be cold...a pile carpet runner on work areas such as in front of a kitchen sink might be something to consider ...and of course there's also radiant heat installed under the slabs as an option.
Good Luck,
Chris Gubb
In my opinion the only value it will add is for your own enjoyment. Most buyers are not fans of solid surface floors, unless it is hardwood. Unless you have radiant heat beneath the floors are going to be cold, slippery, and sound will be amplified. I do not know the type of soil you have in your area, but another concern could be if you have expansive soil the solid surface could be prone to cracking.
Web Reference:
Actually it can hurt the future resale. But it may also affect your health. As natural stones, granite has radon, and the radiation levels when you put a lot of granite may become a cancerogen.
Leaving aside concerns about practicality. I think it will be high maintenance floor, that you need to keep sealed, as it is porous.
This is a question that may not be answered until you offer the property for sale and get an offer.
Web Reference:
In my opinion, granite will not add value to your home. In fact, if you want to sell your home in the future, the flooring would reduce the value and interest in your home. I highly suggest that you consult with a Realtor in your area regarding your question, before you invest in the granite.
In Regard to the value, Probably not as much as this will cost you to install slab granite. This reminds me of advise an agent gave builders about 18 years ago when the builder was considering gold faucets. The question she posed the builder, "Can your ordinary faucet get you the same water and serve you as well?" and of course the answer is yes. The granite floor slab will be heavy to install and can suffer the same problems of all flooring. I doubt that you will have as many people in the resale of your home valuing the granite as much as you do when you install it. The AC utility bill would best be answered by someone who lives in TX. Here on the Oregon Coast AC is not necessary. I sold a home here on the Oregon coast which was loaded with slab granite surrounds on all three showers and it was beautiful but the builder didn't make a profit.
In this area buyers do not in general like to have a granite floor, whether is be solid or tiles. They like granite countertops, but react as if it is "over th top" decor to have it on the entire floor. It generally decreases the sales price or keeps the house from selling as quickly because the buyers think they will have to spend money removing it. That said, I am a real estate agent in Oakland, California, so your market area may be different. I would suggest that you speak with a good agent in your area to find out about the specifics in that market as to what appeals to most buyers. Whatever appeals to most buyers is what will increase the value of any property. Good luck with your floor project. I usually recommend, unless you plan to sell your home soon, that you put whatever finishes appeal to you personally. You are the one living there to enjoy the floor every day. By the way, there is a great website you might want to check out for information about what the added value of various remodeling provides in each area of the country. It will not address your specific issue, but is great information.
Web Reference: