Design & Decor in 38017>Question Details

Isedto, Home Buyer in 38017

I have a slab foundation townhouse. My first floor has an open floorplan for the livingroom, eating area and

Asked by Isedto, 38017 Mon May 18, 2009

kitchen. Should I use ceramic tile throughout the entire floorplan , or capet? I really don't like carpet nor do i care for engineered hardwood. Any suggestions?

Answers

4
unless you live in Florida (which is one of the few places I have seen do this with every house) Ceramic tile through out is not standard and probably wont fair well on re-sale. Look at similar condo's currently for sale or model homes in your area. What is the look that buyers are wanting. You can also go to the flooring store and as most they will have a "most frequently" bought flooring. My guess is a neutral tile in the kitchen with a med color hardwood in the living areas. Like another agent suggested bamboo is a great solution as well- especially with green features becoming a buyer "hot button". Good Luck!
Isedto,

Jo asked the key question. Are you concerned about resale or just want what you want? If resale plays a big role in your decision then neither carpet nor tile through the first floor is the best answer. Tile, as Jo indicates is kind of "beachie" and somewhat leaves most folks with a cold feeling. Carpet will stain and show wear quicker that anything else. My suggestion is a combination of tile and hardwood. This gives you a durable floor that will has a degree of warmth and practicality at the same time.

Gerald Williams
Affiliate Broker
Mortgage Loan Officer
BenchMark Realtors, LLC
BenchMark Mortgage, LLC
901-413-2233
gh_williams@yahoo.com
Hello Isedto,

What are trying to do here....live like you want or are you thinking of resale (now or in the near future)? Tile throughout the main floor is very personalized and will cut out a lot of potential buyers for the future. About the only place wall to wall tile works is at the beach - I know from your zip code, you are at least 5 hours away.

Have you thought about going a little green with bamboo???? It is environmentally kind, durable, much cheaper than hardwood and is a natural (not engineered) product. Folks who know will be drawn to your floors and your savvy.

They come is a multitude of stains and plank sizes. Go be environmental responsible and have great looking floors.

Jo Shaner
Lipsey Shaner Team LLC
In terms of resale my recommendation would be for wood floors. Since you don't personally care for them I would probably go with the tile throughout as long as that wouldn't price you out of the rest of the development. If you are going to use carpet, I would use as little as possible (i.e. just in the living area) and go with tile in the rest. Whatever you do, don't put carpet in the kitchen.

When you say engineered, I'm wondering if you mean laminate? If so, check out some of the non-laminate engineered wood products that are available for slab installation. You may be pleasantly surprised.
Web Reference: http://www.JuliaOdom.com