How much would it cost to add a 3 car garage onto the back of a home in Bryan, Texas?

Asked by Connexion2005, Bryan, TX Thu Feb 18, 2010

I would be using identical brick and standard materials and of course need to add electrical and plumbing to the garage. Anyone have a guesstimate? And yes, I have cleared this with my HOA.

Answers

7
Raylene Lewis, Agent, College Station, TX
Mon Feb 22, 2010
about $50,000 give or take, depending on many things
Robert Regan, , Dallas County, TX
Thu Feb 18, 2010
Let me preface by apologizing for answer your question with a question, but many considerations would need to be taken into account before even guesstimating the cost of such an improvement.
1. I am assuming this will be an attached as opposed to detached garage? This would have some bearing on the price.
2. Will a permit need to be pulled? Surely the HOA would only approve such an addition only after obtaining the appropriate permit by the governing city.
3. Are located on any incline?
4. Have you verified you will not be encroaching on other property or a utility easement?
The last question I would have to ask is are you adding the garage solely for convienence or are you factoring in the cost as compared to the value it would add to the home if resold? The one thing I can tell you with certainty is you did post your question in the correct forum considering a Realtor has to take into account any features that make your home unique in order to determine the fair market value of the home.
A few other extremely important considerations to take into account are the details of your specific property. What may cost $20,000 to build on a house built in 1999 on street B may be nothing close to what you pay for your home built in 2005, that is 6 miles down the road on street X.
The best way to get this question answered is to first entrust the services of a qualified roofer or roofing company to give you a quote for replacement. Next, I would suggest you use a Realtor’s expertise and asking for a Comparable Market Analysis (CMA) that can assist you in getting the most comprehensive detail of the value of homes recently sold in your area. If there is someone in your subdivision that may have done such an improvement, you should start there as that would be the greatest resource you have.
I apologize once again for not answering the question, but I like to ensure that I don’t just throw a number at someone before getting all the specifics.
Robert Regan
Prudential Ultima Real Estate / R. K. Regan Team
Web Reference:  http://www.RKRegan.com
Chris Tesch, Agent, College Station, TX
Thu Feb 18, 2010
I had a garage built on my land about 2 years ago. It ended up costing about 20,000, but we didn't use brick, just hardiplank. My husband did the electrical as well. Based on that I'd say that you're probably looking at 35-50K.

Web Reference:  http://www.christesch.com
Robert Regan, , Dallas County, TX
Fri Feb 26, 2010
Just as an FYI - You will probably want to post this as a new seperate question as the only ones that will be notified about this one are the ones who contributed an answer toy oyur original post about 3 car garages.
Unfortuantely, I will not be part of that new answer group as I know zilch about solar panels.

Congrats on the new home and many happy years in it!!!!
Connexion2005, , Bryan, TX
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Ok great. I close on the home in about 20 days and I'm very excited about it. The detached garage is not in my immediate plans but definitely at around the 1.5-3 year point after I knocked out a lot of the loan and gotten my savings back in order. I have another question that has been plaguing me for a while now. How effective are solar panels? Of course with the Texas heat, a/c in the garage would be amazing. I'm wondering what the cost versus return on investment is for enough panels to power the detached garage separately are. Also, are those panels portable for a second home or what is there lifespan? I've heard of people producing enough energy to actually have the Utility companies pay them but I have no idea what the setup costs are or what the average savings are with a rainy dim month.

Thanks so much everyone Trulia is an awesome website!

-Josh
Robert Regan, , Dallas County, TX
Wed Feb 24, 2010
Good job on making sure all the preliminaries were handled. Now if we were to determine cost, the quotes you received below are relatively on spot. You should expect the cost to run almost identical to that of say a
800 Sq Ft home completely stripped.
Now as opposed to digging a tunnel for myself too deep to crawl out of, I wanted to first make sure you did the ground work. Check
The only thing left to do would be to start calling for quotes.Nationally the price per sq ft is $45. The one thing I can advice is that you make sure the area where they build has had a soil test.
Web Reference:  http://www.RKRegan.com
Connexion2005, , Bryan, TX
Mon Feb 22, 2010
Thanks a lot guys and sorry fore delay Robert,

Here is a breakdown of your questions:

1) Yes it will be a detached garage.

2) A permit has been pulled and approved by the HOA as long as I use asphault shingles and identical brick.

3) There is a slight incline and I'm not sure what the exact slope is but additional slab would be needed at the rear of the building.

4) The building would not encroach any other property or easement. I would be adding this for pure convenience and space with no hopes of it increasing my homes value although I think it possibly would.

In addition to the question, is any familiar with solar panel costs? I've seen a few homes in my area with the panels and I'm curious as to how beneficial they are when it comes down to providing power for a small a/c unit to cool the garage space. Thanks everyone!