How much should I charge for original art used to stage a home?

Asked by L Shirman, San Francisco, CA Sun Mar 15, 2009

I run a fine art business, and have been asked to stage the art for a large "high end" home. It will take about 45 to 50 pieces of art - all of it original.
The home is new, and the furniture is staged by a staging company. Since we've never done this before, I have no idea how to price the rental of the art. I have done a walk-though of the home and identified which pieces to put in, sent a proposal to the agent, and will need to collect some of the pieces from artists, since they are not all in my immediate inventory.
Any recommendations on how to price this would be greatly appreciated! Post here, or email me directly at lilia@canvasations.com

Answers

2
Kimo Stowell’s answer
Kimo Stowell, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Fri Mar 20, 2009
Aloha L,

Usually 3% of the listed price of the piece charged monthly is the going rate. However I've seen prices as high as 5%. People have to remember that original art is typically an appreciating asset and that justifies the pricing structure. Best of luck and congratulations, 45 to 50 pieces is a great contract!

Peace,
Tony Abad, Agent, El Cajon, CA
Sun Mar 15, 2009
I hate to say it but the real answer is - As much as you can. When I've seen art up in places, it looks like they just try to do it to drive traffic to their stores or website with a few business cards and well placed notices. But if they want to pay you, call some of your competition to see what they would charge. Calculate how long it will take to set it up, take down and take it from there.

Hope this help you sell some art!