Do I need to stage my home?

Asked by Trisha Monk, Colleyville, TX Mon Jun 22, 2009

Should I hire a interior designer to design my home ,so that I can sell the home?

Answers

9
Linda Lorenzo, Agent, McKinney, TX
Wed Nov 10, 2010
Hey, Tom I noticed that after posting (usually I check that). One of the things I dislike about this site is that if someone responds to an old post it makes it look like it was new. Wish they had an expiration time.
, ,
Wed Nov 10, 2010
I wonder if Trisha sold her home.
This post is from July 2009
David Jaffe, Agent, Arlington Heights, IL
Wed Nov 10, 2010
Hi Trisha,

You should consider staging your home to sell. In this difficult Sellers Market, the homes that are priced well and show well are the homes that sell first. Homes that are staged, to look 'warm and inviting' give Buyers an emotional attachment to your home. Why do you think Builders spend money to hire professional designers to showcase their models? They would never sell upgrades out of a book. As a homeowner, you want to put your best foot forward to make their first impression the best. Remember, a Buyer usually makes a decision about your home within the first 30 seconds of walking in the door. Don't lose them before they reach the backyard.

Stage your home with up to date furnishings, decor, light fixtures, and accessories. Make your home show better than all the other homes on the market, and you will get more traffic, interested buyers, and most importantly..an offer before your competition.

You can hire a decorator or a professional stager to assist you in those efforts.

Best of luck,

David Jaffe-Realtor SRES, CDPE
Coldwell Banker
Lyle Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Wed Nov 10, 2010
Trisha

Home Staging and Interior Design are not the same thing. If you are interested in increasing the marketability of your home it is an Accredited Home Stager that you want to talk to and not necessarily an Interior Designer. For more information on home staging and where you can find an accredited home stager in your area go the following website of the International Association of Home Staging Professionals.
http://www.iahsp.com/
Cecilia Sher…, Agent, Rocky River, OH
Wed Nov 10, 2010
It really depends on your home and your taste. Perhaps ask a few friends and your Realtor. Sometimes a third-party eye can be a big help. The best beginner steps to take is to declutter and neutralize. Provide as much light and space as you can. Remove all personal items and personal collections. Think "hotel" when you look at your rooms. Clean and simple.

Don't view your Realtor's advice as harsh or mean. He/She only wants to help you sell the home and is only giving the best advice through experience and knowing what buyers want.
Linda Lorenzo, Agent, McKinney, TX
Wed Nov 10, 2010
Depends on several conditions. What is the market like in your neighborhood - homes moving fast, slow. What is the condition of your home & furnishings? Have your realtor come give you advice - ask for their honest opinion of how your home looks. Some realtors have taken staging classes and can assist you if your budget is tight. Your realtor will also be able to recommend stagers to you if you decide to go that route. Good luck.
Sherry Afshi…, Agent, Cary, NC
Mon Nov 8, 2010
You need to hire a stage to stage your home. I am an stager and could give you some free and general advises, if you are interested.
, ,
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Staging will benefit some more than others.
Your realtor should be able to guide you better since they have seen the home.
Dominick Dina, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Trisha,

Yes you do. The more important questions is do you need to pay a professional.
My answer is mabe not.

Are you working with a real estate professional? If so (s)he can assist you to stage you home so it presents well.

To stage, less is more. You want folks to see the house, not your stuff. Lound colors are not the way to go so repaint with neutral colors if your walls are shouting out.

Light colored drapes are better than dark. Make sure everyone can see the fireplace...do not block it as it is a selling point.

Curb appeal is something most ofter overlooked. Also, look at the fornt door (paint) and the "welcome home" feel of the entryway.

Again, please use a real estate professional to assist you.

Best wishes,

Dominick Dina, Broker/Owner