Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Denville : Real Estate Advice

  • All31
  • Local Info7
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 5
Thu Jul 25, 2013
JUAN GALLEGO answered:
The $95.00 fee is for the Indian lake community
if you need help please call me at 973-805-0156

Thank You
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Feb 4, 2011
Joan Braunschweiger answered:
She said a month and how is an agent from VA working in NJ?
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 5, 2010
David Dorfman answered:
Seems like everyone forgot the question.

Which is a better INVESTMENT.

So I take it you are NOT going to live there, but you are looking for a return (today or tomorrow) on your "investment".

Your investment is your:

time and ability to manage the property
your positive cash flow (or negative, if you like to gamble and can predict the future value of the investment at some point in time when you plan to sell...)

You may want to ask, where can I maximize my downpayment -

What are my overall carrying costs for property a and property b

If I were going to rent and pay $X in rent, where do I NEED to live to pay the rent...

Good luck future landlord. Look at The National Landlord Tenant Guide and click on NJ for more info and being a landlord in NJ. This should help.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 28, 2010
Inspector General answered:
-- What should I do? Should this is be a cause to move-on?

The home inspector's job is to identify that a problem may exist. You need to investigate further. Were there just a few and where are they living? Certain times of the year, they go out and explore for new diggs. Seeing ants alone does not always indicate a serious problem. Investigate further. If they are indeed infesting your dwelling, A contractor or structural engineer can tell you how to fix it and what it will cost.

If you have carpenter ants, that means you have a moisture problem. Carpenter ants will move on if the water problem is fixed. You need to hire a contractor to fix the water problem and also fix any damage caused by the ants. The ant damage may be minor or great depending how long they have been active. Carpenter ants eat rotten wood, wood rots because of moisture and mold.

Move on if the seller will not give you further access to the problem or will not certify the problems have been properly fixed by a qualified engineer or contractor.

"-- Would you buy a house like this (assume everything else is fine). "

This would not, in my opinion, be the single reason to buy or not to buy a home. You now know you have a problem, and you need to find out what the detrimental value is. Work with the owners to identify and resolve the problem.

-- If I buy this house, would this affect its resale value/prospect in the future?

It has already affected the resale value. If the water and ant problem is not dealt with, it will likely get worse and continue to negatively effect the property.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 11, 2008
Jane Grant answered:
Ryan: Princeton University actually has a department dedicated to this topic. They actually call it a "water watch", and there is a contact e-mail that may be helpful for up to the minute water results:

Here's the site:
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Home Buying in Denville Zip Codes