Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Denver County : Real Estate Advice

  • All48
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying19
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 41
Wed Jan 11, 2017
Christine.woods32 answered:
A good first step is figuring out what your home’s currently worth in the market. But, don’t set a standard price for all one bedroom homes, for instance. You should charge slightly different rents based on how desirable the unit.
Even if you make necessary research, you may not set the right price for your property. And such rental services, like I mentioned in web reference, can help you to handle it. When you post a property you set the price and when tenants apply for property they submit the price they would like to pay for it.
... more
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 8, 2016
Maricris A answered:

When updating your listing on Zillow, please allow 24-48 hours for the information to reflect on Trulia live site.


Consumer Care Advocate
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Aug 23, 2016
Dana Hoffmann answered:
Hi Kpfeifer74 - We'd be happy to help you with an average rent price analysis. Just send your property to We ( perform a 3 point analysis based on (1) Zestimate - partner of Trulia, (2) competitive market rates, and (3) local growth analysis to provide you with a complimentary recommendation for rent prices. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed May 11, 2016
Joseph Rabiolo answered:
Hi Don,

Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, if you submit an application for credit and then are denied that credit, the person who access that information is required to submit to you an adverse action letter. This letter should identify who provided information regarding your credit and what information they used to deny you the credit.

You should keep in mind that applications for rental can be denied for many more reasons than just credit alone. Common tenant screening can include consideration of your employment, income, rental history, criminal record, pets, and more. Pretty much anything that isn't prohibited in Federal, State and Local fair housing laws can be used to determine your eligability for rental.

It's tough out there for renters right now - good luck!
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Apr 14, 2016
Jodysutter asked:
The church that my tenants go to want to pay one month's rent on the tenant's behalf. The church also wants me to fill out a W-9 form. Is this necessary?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 22, 2016
Rjdoranjr asked:
Tue Dec 1, 2015
Elizabeth Herbert answered:
Do you mean a W-9? Here is the link for that;

There is a form for HUD for section 8 and it goes by city and state. Here is the link; ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 15, 2015
Michael Glist answered:
My guess is because #1 they rented it to you based on your income not on you getting financial assistance even if just for one month #2 because of how crazy the Colorado rental market is they may be ok with having to put you out so they can rent it out to someone else for more than what you currently pay. he tidha ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jul 15, 2015
Kyle Foster answered:
This home is not currently for sale. It was withdrawn from the Denver MLS on 5-15-15. If there is anyone advertising this home for rent, confirm that they are the seller through county tax records (found online for free) and a photo identification card. NEVER send money over the internet to someone who will not meet you in person AT THE PROPERTY!! NEVER GO SEE THE PROPERTY ALONE!! Be careful everyone, there are a lot of bad people out there! ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 23, 2015
Thomas Hopkins answered:
Mon Jan 12, 2015
Kristen Hanson asked:

1 vote 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 29, 2014
Marina Gorbounov answered:
Hi Michelle,

Have you tried private owners? you would have better luck there. I do a lot of property management and I actually encourage owners to accept people with bankruptcies as they typically stay a while since they can't qualify to purchase. As long as you have good rental references and income or can pay a few months up front or a larger deposit, I think you have a good shot with a private owner. Most leasing companies have set rules they have to follow and in most cases a BK is an automatic denial, regardless of what type. I would try a private owner and be very upfront with them.
good luck
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Oct 29, 2014
Marina Gorbounov answered:
If you will receive more than $600 in rents from them, they will have to issue a 1099 at the end of the year and you have to claim this income on your tax return. You would need to do a separate schedule for your rental property: start depriciating it, track expenses to offset this income. But yes they are correct in asking you to fill that out. They want to report their rent payment as an expense on their income tax, un turn you have to claim it as income. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 29, 2014
Marina Gorbounov answered:
There's a law of quiet enjoyment. Basically if someone comes over repeatedly, they are violating your right for quiet enjoyment. If they are coming unannouced that is even worse. Typically there's a 24 hour notice that is required. You should have that in your lease. Do you have your lease handy? I'd be happy to take a look. I am sorry that you have to deal with this. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Aug 30, 2014
Shaun Dixon answered:
The best way to build your credit would be contacting I've had some past clients that used them and they improved their score by 50 points in just 2 months. Pay down your balances on any credit cards with high limits and dispute as many trade lines as possible. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 20, 2014
Sharon Patterson answered:
In looking for a home to rent, you might try some management companies. My husband has rentals with "Advanced Property Management" and City Scape Management. My company, Cherry Creek Properties, also has a management division. The office phone number is303-713-9000. Tell the receptionist what you need and she'll direct you to the right person. These management companies receive their fees from the owners so there's no cost to you. Might be worth a try.
Good luck to youx
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2 3
Search Advice
Rental Basics in Popular Cities in Denver County