what color should you paint the gutters on your house?

Asked by rpalbright, Suwanee, GA Sun Aug 3, 2014

Should you match your houses gutter color with the roof?

Answers

18
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Thu Oct 9, 2014
It looks best when it is the same color as the soffit and fascia
If you paint the shutters and gutters @down spouts maybe a brown would it look good to paint the gutters the same or leave them white like the house where could I find pictures for ideals
Flag Sun Oct 21, 2018
Oscar "OG" G…, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Wed Aug 6, 2014
Gutters tend to look good when they match the fascia board. So if the boards are white, gutter shld be white. This will make it look cleaner!

Oscar Gonzales
WestCo Realty
562-244-2055
BRE#01771716
Just so everyone knows, the facia board is directly behind the gutter. But if the downspout is mounted to the side of the house, a pillar, or even sometimes over the shingles, the downpipe should be painted the color of the substrate it is mounted to.
Flag Tue Apr 17, 2018
What about the downpours? I just painted my house like a terracotta color with a light trim color. Gutters and soffit are white. Can I paint the down spouts the terracotta color?
Flag Thu Aug 24, 2017
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Aug 3, 2014
In my opinion, gutters should be painted a color that blends in with the color of the home. They should not be painted a contrasting color that allows them greater visibility.

Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Sun Aug 3, 2014
If your gutters are WHITE and your new replacement windows are white, and the door frame is white, the storm door is white, the soffit is white and the fascia is white, leave the gutters white.

However, if from the street one can see seven colors, you need to SERIOUSLY consider reducing the color palette.

Without an image of your house, actionable direction can not be provided.
Rude
Flag Tue Apr 17, 2018
I've painted my house soffits, fascia, and window trim a ultra white with a semi gloss sheen. I am having new gutters installed next week, but my problem is that the gutter color is called Lo Gloss White. The two are not exactly the same color white. Is it OK to have to different shade of white. Exhausted from thinking.
Flag Wed Aug 31, 2016
Kevin Polite, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Fri Apr 13, 2018
I love a white house with black gutters and trim around the windows but white on the soffit and fascia. Gray is such a big color now and you can find all kinds of color of gutters. Just make sure you have either the painter or someone with a really good eye for color help you design it and don't use more that 3 colors on a house.

Check out paint chip cards at local big box stores and paint specialty stores to get ideas. They usually have a pamphlets with samples of exterior of homes.
My favorite is to just google white house black trim and gutters and then click on "images" at the top and you'll get more ideas than you can go through in a week.

Remember, it's your house and most buyers now, especially younger buyers no longer go along with what traditionally has been done. It's ok to individualize your home and done right it will become the jewel of the neighborhood. I remodel homes as well and we did a white house with black trim and the neighbors were like whoa, then they saw the finished product and loved it.
Using only 3 colors may be a good idea, but questionable. My house is made with "real" used brick so it already has many colors and looks great. I chose white gutters.
Flag Wed Apr 18, 2018
Kirsten Priz…, Agent, Naples, FL
Fri May 29, 2015
typically white, but it depends on the color of your house and roof.
Agnes Halmon, Agent, Western Springs, IL
Thu Oct 9, 2014
I agree with white as a safe bet but depends on the color and style
of the house.
The Stephen…, Agent, Portland, OR
Wed Aug 6, 2014
Depends on what color the siding is, but usually your best choice is always white!
Gaynacrouch, Home Buyer, Salt Lake City, UT
Tue Apr 17, 2018
Well I painted mine a metallic copper. The neighbours now think I have the real deal. Haha. We love it too. Hubby said perhaps it’s true what they say about leaving a woman alone with the paintbrush as now the mailbox is copper painted and some of the facia...more like leaving it up to an artist - hey it’s awesome!
Mary Ann Han…, Home Buyer, Seattle, WA
Tue Apr 17, 2018
If you have a metal roof, I would match the gutters and downspouts to the roof.
djennifer009, , Salt Lake City, UT
Fri May 29, 2015
I second white. You don't have to match the colors exactly, and sometimes it looks better to have the white accents. It really depends on what you prefer, though. As long as your gutters are functional, I think that's the real key. http://www.plmgnmaintenance.com.au/index.php/services/gutter…
fosterkicks99, , 78052
Wed Sep 17, 2014
That is entirely up to you. I would say most don't match exactly, but could be in a similar color range. They can be the exact opposite color too. It all depends on the look you would like for your home.
Michael Foster http://www.a1seamlessguttersmaine.com
I think most times gutters are white. You could paint them to match your house more, but I think in general people usually leave them white. It would be a good idea to see what the houses around have done with their gutters so you can get an idea for what kind of style your neighborhood has. http://www.ozwideguttercleaning.com.au
Flag Wed Jun 10, 2015
Tom Beckman, Agent, Peoria, IL
Wed Aug 6, 2014
You should match them to the color of the house as a out line piece.
Melchor, REA…, Agent, Orange, CA
Wed Aug 6, 2014

You should paint them in the color that you want. Many do match it with the roof or have it contrast with the walls. For example, beige walls with a dark brown or black gutter. It's up to you.
karablader, Home Buyer, Utah County, UT
Wed Aug 6, 2014
It's really up to you what color you want them to be. Some people have unique tastes and want their gutters to stand out. Others want to hide them as much as possible. You can talk with a paint specialist and see what their opinion is.
Sharon Felton, Agent, Nashville, TN
Wed Aug 6, 2014
You have to decide based on the whole package: the brick or siding color, the roof color, the shutters or trim color. On my home, the brick is a fairly traditional dark red, the roof is brown, and my gutters and downspouts are a beautiful shade that's called Scotch Red -- close to the brick color but with just a little brown in it that complements the roof color. Thanks for this question!
Isabel Elses…, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Wed Aug 6, 2014
White is most popular. But I have seen it the color of the actual house.
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sun Aug 3, 2014
That would be good choice .