should I paint the knotty pine or replace it with sheetrock?

Asked by Home Lady Update, Millersville, MD Sat Oct 10, 2009

Answers

9
Bill Wootan's…, , Waldorf, MD
Sun Oct 11, 2009
I have seen beautiful knotty pine walls - does it make the room look small, or dark (try adding more lights, brighter rixtures higher wattage bulbs) - i know of one person who bleached the knotty pine, which lightened the woodl but kept the beautiful grain - talk to the paint experts at Lowe's or Home Depot - its a lot of work but so is removing and replasing with dry wall! - fgood luck on whatever you decide!

Billl Wootan "The Real Estate Man"
Web Reference:  http://www.billwootan.com
Mywilkins, Home Buyer, Millersville, MD
Thu Feb 7, 2013
I painted mine and have loved it. It is so much brighter!!!
Jenn Bonk, Agent, Millersville, MD
Mon Feb 21, 2011
I've seen examples where homeowners have only removed the upper half or two thirds of the knotty pine planking. Where the planking has been removed, they install and paint drywall. The remaining planking is painted white and capped with a chair raill or small shelf/ledge. VOILA--wainscotting!!

I live in Millersville so if you haven't completed this project yet, I am more than happy to come by and explain in person. I can also suggest so local contractors.

Jenn
Sally Kircho…, Agent, Salisbury, MD
Wed Feb 2, 2011
If your home has Knotty Pine, then it must have been built in the 60's, I would presume. If it's in good condition, leave it alone...it may be a nice selling point. Whatever you do, do not paint over it. If it's in bad condition and an eyesore, perhaps consider covering with sheetrock, then paint.
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Wed Oct 14, 2009
WOW with right room decor these areas of home and look fablous. I recently sold a home not painted buyer loved everything purchase all furnishings from seller.

It all depends on many factors.
Shelly Walker, Home Buyer, Sebring, FL
Sun Oct 11, 2009
Nothing looks uglier than painted paneling (it's still knotty pine, just a different color). Leave it, remove it or cover it with sheet rock.
Teresa Downi…, Agent, Severna Park, MD
Sun Oct 11, 2009
In general, paneling is not a popular item. However, in an older home, in areas such as a basement or a den/study, it may add to the overall character (as long as it is in good condition). Painting it may be the best option (even in a den or basement) if you need to "fill in" any areas that may have had pictures hangers, etc. If the knotty pine is located in a formal living area or a kitchen, buyers usually want to see it gone. That being said, if sheetrocking and finishing are not in your budget, I would simply price the home accordingly and leave the decision up to the new owners. If you would like a complimentary market analysis, please feel free to call me. Teresa Downing 443-286-8765. Deciding what your home may be worth in this market may help you make the decision about whether or not to spend the additional funds on sheetrock.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Oct 11, 2009
Home,
It sounds as if you would prefer the knotty pine "gone". By covering it with paint, the material will still be there. Eventhough sheetrocking is a much more invasive and costly project it may, in the end produce the change you are seeking.

Our advice is to consult at least one contractor for an estimate prior to making a decision. Having all of the facts is always a key factor in making a sound decision.

Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Oct 11, 2009
Hi Home Lady
The answer might depend on where the knotty pine is......what room?

In a finished basement, I'd leave it alone..........in a main level family room, if you have the buget to use sheetrock, you can't go wrong with that, but painting is an inexpensive alternative, and for a den it might be fine to give it an updated look. If it's in a bedroom, I'd go with the sheetrock for sure.

Other things to consider are ...just how updated is the house in general? if it needs total renovation...you might be better off leaving things as they are, and pricing it accordingly.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes.......
Debbie Rose'
Prudential NJ Properties