Curb Appeal in Philadelphia>Question Details

Supergirl, Both Buyer and Seller in Philly

Yucky Ducks

Asked by Supergirl, Philly Tue Dec 23, 2008

Help! I've had many showings, and just about all positive feedback. The only negatives about my actual house have been the non-controllables (no garage, need more space, etc.) Here's my problem: My neighbors are foreign-born and apparently it's part of their culture to hang meat on the clothesline in their backyard - right next to the panties. I am not kidding - seriously. They don't speak any English, and if they did, I really wouldn't quite know how to broach the topic without coming across as culturally insensitive. These are rowhouses, so there isn't any way for me to block view of their yard. Any suggestions on how to either eliminate the problem or a good way to explain these dead ducks to prospective buyers? Thanks.

Answers

4
Chris & Stephanie Somers’ answer
Your agent can turn the negative into a positive. There is always a silver lining to everything. And of course to overcome the objections (no garage, need more space, dead ducks hanging next door...) there is your listing price that can be more attractive. That overcomes all objections for ultimately there is a buyer for every home, depending on the price.

Our Philadelphia market is doing quite well in terms of average days on market - things are starting to pick up during a seasonally slow time due to mortgage rates being so low and attractive. So the last suggestion would also just be patience.

Good luck ! For more helpful hints, view our website or our blog !

Our site - http://www.thesomersteam.com

Our blog - http://thesomersteam.activerain.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 24, 2008
Figure out a way to communicate with your neighbors. They could help you find the buyer for your home They may know of someone who is the same nationality as them, who understands their culture, who would love to be their neighbor.

Birds of a feather flock together.

Monica McNamara
Ocean City, Maryland
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 23, 2008
Don't fight it, sell it. Great neighborhood with fresh duck available.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 23, 2008
And there are hunters in the American culture who hang their deer for a few days, depending on the temperature.

The best thing to do is to have someone translate a letter written from you to your neighbors and you give it to them. In the letter, just politely ask that for the time being, please don't display any carcasses and tell them that you are trying to sell your home. Or you could go to them with a translator. Invite them for coffee or anything else that will set a nice tone to the visit.

Other than that, you could put up a privacy fence. But that entails a good bit of funds.

Back to the "positive" feedback. Have you received any complaints from the prospective buyers about the "view"? If not, the only concern I would see is the listing price of the home, don't you think? Speak to your agent about the concerns, unless you're selling on your own. In which case you should contact a real estate professional.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 23, 2008