Will assessed taxes go up if I change a crushed stone driveway to cement or paving stone?

Asked by Jd, New York, NY Mon Jun 30, 2008

I am buying a house in Scarsdale, and the driveway is crushed stone. I want to change to flat concrete or (preferably) to paving stones. How much will assessed taxes typically be impacted?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jackson Will…, Home Buyer, Provo, UT
Thu Feb 12, 2015
I don't think your taxes would really be affected by this. If you were trying to change the driveway shape or move it to another part of the property, you could run into this kind of problem. Without doing that you should be pretty safe as far as your taxes are concerned. I hope your able to get your driveway changed to something you prefer more. It sucks to have not have things the way you want them at your own home.
0 votes
Maria Mantis,…, Agent, Rye, NY
Sat Aug 2, 2008
Your assessment will not be affected if you are just changing the material.
0 votes
I think you could make these changes without any problems. If you are planning on paving with cement, I would consider contracting someone who can help pump concrete. Having a cement mixer is an absolute must!
Flag Fri Nov 7, 2014
Monique Hail…, Agent, California, MD
Tue Jul 22, 2008
Best to all your Tax assessors office!
0 votes
Bob and Diane…, Agent, Yorktown Heights, NY
Tue Jul 22, 2008
In Yorktown Heights a new tax assesment is normally triggered by a building permit, which is not required when paving a driveway. Speaking to the tax accessor at Town hall is always your best bet!
0 votes
Justin Piera…, Agent, Yorktown Heights, NY
Sat Jul 5, 2008
I believe that if you are changing the material, it would be considered landscaping. Landscaping usually does not affect your assessment like a bedroom or bathroom. Paving stones is a great way to go. We have done some unbelievable work in Unilock. I am an authorized Unilock Distributor and Premier landscape contractor. We do a lot of estate work in Bedford and Pound ridge and are also down in the Scarsdale area.
Best of luck! - http://www.ajp-hvrealty.com
Web Reference:  http://www.shadeandsun.com
0 votes
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Mon Jun 30, 2008
If you are not changing the footprint of the driveway, nothing should change.
Web Reference:  http://GailGladstone.com
0 votes
Joanna Lane, Agent, Cutchogue, NY
Mon Jun 30, 2008
I suggest you call your local Town Hall and to speak to someone in the Tax Assessor's Office.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more