Curb Appeal in Billerica>Question Details

Pat, Both Buyer and Seller in 01826

How much to allow for new kitchen cabinets and a tub in selling a house?

Asked by Pat, 01826 Sun Sep 9, 2007

Answers

11
Hi Pat,

In general, sprucing is what you should be doing, not replacing. Paint cabinets, replace knobs, maybe even a new faucet or sink can do wonders.

When selling a home the most important thing (in addition to pricing it properly!) is to make it as appealing as possible. Repair any broken items, clear up storage areas, declutter. Paint is the least expensive way to prepare a home for sale.

Don't spend too much getting ready - you most likely won't get it back.

Julie Duncan
RE/MAX Premier Properties
Lexington

781-323-4389
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2007
I would go and see what homes like yours are selling for and take a look at those kitchens for features. Look at renovated kitchens, total & partial ones as well as existing older kitchens. Then get the 3 estimates for a kitchen remodel that is inline with the price range your home realistically is in. Buyers will be expecting a different kitchen quality & design in a 300K home as compared to a 600k home. This will assist you when describing the type of remodel to your contractors for estimates. You may not want to subsidize a fully brand new kitchen with all price ranges but depending on the condition of yours currently you might make an allowance for a certain percentage of the estimates. I always caution sellers before doing a remodel on the home to sell the house to ask themselves - "Is this going to be attractive to the widest spectrum of today's buyers and not just my personal preference? And Can I live with this renovation/work if the home does not sell?" Hope that helps.
Web Reference: http://www.Medfordhouse.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2007
I really like Kurts approach,
However in today's market what sells is Location, Price, Condition.

I just showed a home that is new on the market priced at 429K
It needs new Kitchen cabinets.
It has a new Refrigerator.
Newer stove.
Nice floor.

My clients see that it needs a whole new kitchen, They like the home, but want 30K for a new kitchen.
I think it is less expensive to remodel now.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2007
Mr.P, Other/Just Looking in Arizona
Pat, Read the information on the website below for a general guide. They have a yearly survey and publish the results (for a fee) for several locations. If you are selling, I agree with the comments, get some estimates. Most of the time, it's better to offer buyers "XX" dollars in escrow for repairs. If all the homes in your neighborhood have been remodeled and not yours, buyers will discount accordingly.

The same rule applies when you purchase.

Good luck in your transactions
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2007
As far as the kitchen cabinets go, it really depends on how many are there. A small kitchen redo can cost $10,000 but something major can easily go for $50,000.
Are you a buyer trying to negotiate price? or a seller looking to give an allowance? If you are a seller and the kitchen/bath needs work, get some estimates like Kurt said. If you are a buyer, you can try to deduct not only for the actual cost of completing a renovation, but for the time/aggrivation you will go through while doing the renovating. As a buyer, though, the price of the house may have been determined taking into consideration the condition of the kitchen/bath as they are. Only your Realtor can advise you of that.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2007
Personally I would obtain 3 written bids from contractors that do that type of work. Tuck that information away and wait for the negotiation stages in the transaction to pull out the bids and use that information as a basis for the allowance. I would not do the work, not offer it up front unless you absolutley have to.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2007
When updating your home rule of thumb is keeping what you have and update items. Kitchen cabinets are very expensive so if they are in good condition stain or paint them and put your money into countertops, appliances and flooring. Bath tubs can be redone and not replaced. Good luck!
I think you should look into remodeling the place. I am pretty sure it will be cheaper if you look to spruce the place up and remodel. It may even be nicer too because the cabinets and other areas will have matched the rooms. You don't want to go out on a limb and start making more purchases, especially if you are going to sell the place. http://www.canlikkitchens.net/
It depends on the cabinet company and the amount of doors you need replaced. I suggest getting a few estimates before you hire someone. You may be able to repair instead of replace. I'd look into that option first. http://www.richskitchens.com/Bathroom-Remolding-Butler-NJ.html
I think this will add quite a bit of value to your home. Kitchen renovations add the most value to a home. I think it would be beneficial for you to do this. It could also add more visual appeal to your home. http://www.oakvillekitchencentre.com/gallery/kitchen
I have built and sold several homes & I always say that kitchen and baths sell homes. I would put the tub in. I believe that this is less expensive than the discount that you will take for a grungy tub. You can rreplace the tub or look at bath fitters that basically put a new tub module over the old tub.
With the kitchen, can you paint the caibnets and change the hardware? You can also look at cabinet refacing. If you do decide to replace the cabinets, (and I would hesitate to do this), go with a lighter cabinet like maple. The standard builders oak cabinets looks cheap.
In a nutshell: I would replace the tub, spruce the kitchen up a bit & give a kitchen allowance. The actual amt of the allowance will very much depend on the price of the house. You can also get a quote for new kitchen cabinets from Home Depot or Lowe's.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 17, 2007