How many sellers stage their home? Any good results.?

Asked by Elizabeth Burr, Englewood, FL Mon Oct 22, 2007

Answers

13
Tman, , 30642
Thu Jan 10, 2008
Staging is one of the best things ever invented since milk - for many reasons.

Let's be honest here, most folks just don't know how to decorate a house .. they might spend $30,000 on furniture and a decorator but it still looks like something from "Dexters Laboratory" .. and maroon dining rooms and rose colored wall paper is great - as long as it isn't yours ....

You always have to keep in mind that the vast majority of buyers, male or female, really don't have enough imagination to cover up all those little parcels of beauty of yours in their minds ...

KISS - keep it simple stupid .... light colors, tan and beiges and a small and simple staging.

Like I might have mentioned before, we bought a storage warehouse 20 years ago for just that reason ... our personal furniture goes on to the new house and the staging furniture goes in .... our places sell in 10/21 days and the surrounding places do 30/90 days --- yep it works, I just wasn't smart enough to patent it .l.o.l..

Sherry Afshi…, Agent, Cary, NC
Mon Nov 8, 2010
there is an stat that only 1 out of 3 sellers stage their properties.
Audrey Hoffm…, , Baltimore, MD
Wed Feb 27, 2008
To quote a staging friend of mine, Melissa Marro, it just makes sense--dollars & cents! The link below is an article from Kiplinger's on the topic, and gives a good overview for those wanting to understand the basics.
Mr.P, , Arizona
Mon Jan 14, 2008
I have to follow the new builds on this one. They stage for a reason, because it helps sell.
The best staging I have seen is when the house is done in IKEA. Buyers love that stuff

Hey Linda,
I would get that Versace out of the museum before the buyer wants you to throw it in.
Linda, Home Seller, 32766
Mon Jan 14, 2008
stage im not sure i know my home looks like a museum i have all versace furnishings worth more than my home i still cant sell it it depends on your buyer i think some people love empty homes and some love to see it furnished so i personally think it is hit or miss just like anything else in real estate i myself love a staged home
Melanie Nard…, , San Francisco, CA
Thu Jan 10, 2008
I highly recommend checking out Craig Schiller's blog on staging http://realestaging.blogspot.com/ -- it is down to earth, realistic, highly informative and you'll get a laugh.
Lara McHenry, Agent, Spokane, WA
Thu Jan 10, 2008
In my most honest opinion..not enough of them. Staging is not widely known to alot of people as a selling aid or tool to enhance the home favorably to sell quicker and easier. I believe there is a big misconception about the importance of staging a home especially in a softening market...you must consider it as a portion of your arsenal of tools to implement the sale of your property. There are so many levels of staging that a person can implement from do it yourself staging and dynamizing to interior redesign and revamp. Your level of options is endless, many Realtors including myself are accredited in this area as stagers now and if at possible you can utilize their services you really should. Sometimes, I haul in different furniture to rearrange and compliment the space, or I just make a punch list of the things that my client should consider doing to improve the flow and pleasantry of the home. You can even borrow videos or books on how to do this yourself...however lend a critical eye to the home and have someone unremoved to the home take a walk through and give their honest opinion.
Linda, , Berwyn, PA
Thu Jan 10, 2008
Not enough. With the current inventory of homes, buyers will choose the house that is priced right and looks better than the competition. Staging can effectively prepare your house for sale by "merchandising" it like any other commodity. Most sellers are used to the way their house looks and have difficulty evaluating it objectively, as if they were a buyer. This is where the services of a professional stager can be helpful.
Lara McHenry, Agent, Spokane, WA
Sun Dec 9, 2007
I think every seller should stage or "dynamize" their home prior to putting on the market. Staging can be in varying degrees...essentially it is putting your best foot forward and making your home look it's very best. I am an accredited stager and use this skill to aid my sellers to promote a quicker sale. I have had several scenarious where staging made all the difference in the world. I had this one seller that had a big purple couch in her living room...yes purple...she loved purple, but the main point is that what this albatross of a couch was doing was making the room look small and dowdy. Once we removed the couch, resituated the furniture to create a good flow and updated the room and created a visualization for the buyer, they had a buyer within a week! Mind you, that this home was listed for almost 6 months without any offers until it was staged appropriately. Buyers are visual and sometimes sellers have a hard time looking at their own homes through "buyers eyes" when a house is staged to its best ability you create the visualization a buyer requires, always put on your Sunday best when it comes to selling your house! The resounding memory you leave on the buyer always sticks.
We have also found that in vacant homes it is far better to stage as once again....the buyers tend to need visualization on furniture placement etc.
Not only that...they love to come see what has been done at the properties and get ideas on staging for homes they are considering selling...I have picked up many a seller based upon the "just looking" scenario.
I have found that staging nearly always pays for itself when done right...I suggest if you are on a budget though to do your best to look at the home as you did when you were purchasing it...does it still showcase all the elements you fell in love with it for when you bought it? If not, make some changes to showcase those features!
Bart Foster, Agent, Boston, MA
Thu Nov 29, 2007
To stage or not to stage.... Take a step back to your child hood when your parents would remind you to "Clean your room". Do you not before entertaining guests clean your home, dusting every nook and cranny, putting away all the Stuff? And oh my, how about scrubbing and making the bathroom sparkle, heaven forbid someone have to use a filthy commode or take a look at what lurks behind the shower curtain!

Staging has perhaps three parts, 1) the cleaning and removal of clutter, 2) and the freshening up painted surfaces, and lastly 3) decorating. Is there value in taking making the effort, I believe so.

If the seller and you do make the effort, do not waste it with poorly taken photos. If you are not good at taking photos, consider posting a request on Craigslist.com for a photography student assist you. In return they get the experience and something to put in their portfolio.
Web Reference:  http://www.BartSells.com
Jessica Klein, , New Rochelle, NY
Thu Nov 29, 2007
Staging is possibly the best tool any agent can use in this market to properly market and sell a home. Why wouldn't you want the listing to stand out among the competition?

I am a stager as well as a Realtor and quite simply, staged homes sell faster! I recommend hiring stagers or if you are realtors, take the 2 day class from stagedhomes.com, which is what I did.

Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Mon Oct 22, 2007
Staging or preparing you home for sale is imperative. How one lives in a home is not how one sells a home. some use professional stages and other start by decluttering themselves. I always advise the seller they want their home to look somewhat similar to a model home when placing it on the market. Most prepare their home with my assistance but the model home usually is a good visual for them.
Greg Kiely, Agent, Newton, MA
Mon Oct 22, 2007
Elizabeth,

You've very inquisitive this morning! I believe that all sellers should use some elements of "staging" for their homes. There is no need to empty all of the contents of the house and replace it with new furniture from a professional stager for thousands of dollars a month, but rooms should be arranged to promote flow and the flat surfaces should be de-cluttered. Since most sellers have furnishings which match the value of their home, the need to buy or rent new stuff isn't as important as people make it out to be.