Do things like speedbumps or "Fire Lane, No Parking" signs devalue the properties in a neighborhood?

Asked by Cynthia, 98032 Mon Jun 25, 2007

Answers

7
Ardell Della…, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Thu Jul 5, 2007
Placing a Stop sign at a corner can often dictate where people may turn and affect values on the cross street. For instance in Kirkland, people whom come from Bellevue may automatically turn at 6th Street because of the separate yield lane. They will then likely turn left at the first stop sign if they are going over to 1st. That makes the cross streets with stop signs more heavily traffiked.

All residents should consider the long term consequences of placing speed bumps and stop signs. The street with the speed bump may benefit and the value could actually be higher with the speed bump. The negative impact then becomes the nearest street without speed bumps, as people may redirect their route over to that street to avoid speedbumps.
Ellen Chung, , San Mateo, CA
Thu Aug 2, 2007
Although speedbumps may indicate that there is a problem with traffic and speeding, I would consider it a positive addition to a neighborhood as a homeowner or potential buyer. Speedbumps, stop signs, all of those things help keep children, pedestrians, and residents safe in an area where they should feel secure. As long there isn't three stop signs and ten speedbumps for every block, I would consider these additions a positive thing to help prevent any and all future traffic-related problems.
Web Reference:  http://www.simpluxe.com
Ben Kakimoto, Agent, Seattle, WA
Tue Jun 26, 2007
I wouldn't think either would be an issue. In respects to the speedbumps, on one hand I can see where people may think there's a speeding problem. But, on the other hand, I notice it a lot in developments with playgrounds, and in that situation, I think it's a positive thing. For instance, there speedbumps in Mill Creek developments where homes are above $500,000 and the presence of speedbumps haven't hindered values.
Vicki Masell…, Agent, Duluth, GA
Mon Jun 25, 2007
Hi Cynthia,

I'm in Atlanta, Georgia and not familiar with your real estate market in Seattle (although I was born there and used to periodically travel to the area on business ;-)

For the particular neighborhood that you are referring to, do the homes have ample driveway and garage parking? If so, I would not think that speed-bumps, fire lanes and no parking signs have any bearing on the value. However, if there is little to no driveway and/or garage parking, I would tend to believe that these things do impact a properties worth (at least in the minds of home buyers desiring convenient overnight parking).

Best wishes,

Ted Shoop - ABR, e-PRO, Realtor
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
Web Reference:  http://MyGeorgiaHomes.com
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Thu Aug 2, 2007
Speedbumps will be viewed subjectively depending upon the propsective buyer. A buyer with a concern about speeds in a neighborhood may welcome speedbumps and view such as assets. A family with small children may consider the speedbump as a plus, while a person who is always late may find the speed bump an irritant. Speedbumps do not have an adverse impact on the neighborhood values, but may deter or encourage certain buyers.

Fire Lane implies it might be a main street. Busy streets can be less desirable. There is not an adverse impact resulitng from the fire lane.

No parking signs are not a problem, but a lack of parking is. If there is ample private parking, and pubic parking on the street is restricted, it may serve as a positve. If no parking is allowed becasue it is a busy street, that in and of itself could be a negative.

The signs are not a problem, but give you an indicator to look at the story and circumstances behind the signs. The story behind the signs could be a positive. Examples: As a result of no parking, street is frequently amd easily cleaned by streetwashers, the street is tidy, beautiful and ample parking exist for residents and visitors.

Look behind the signs to find the story and facts that will impact values.
Rhonda Porter, , Seattle, WA
Sun Jul 29, 2007
We recently had speed bumps added to our streets (not our choice, the City of Seattle did this) and I doubt it has had any impact on values or reducing speeders!
James Hsu, Agent, Bothell, WA
Mon Jun 25, 2007
I say that speedbumps probably do a little. If I was showing a house to a buyer and the streets surrounding the house had speedbumps, i'd wonder if speeding cars was a problem. Cities/counties won't put speed bumps on a residential street unless the street has a certain amount of traffic. Even then I think it would have to become a problem before they city/county will put speedbumps on it. We've tried in my neighborhood and the answer we get from the county was there isn't enough traffic to justify it. Depending on my buyer's desires, ...lots of traffic going by the house may not be ideal if they had little kids.

No Parking/Fire Lanes I don't see too much of a concern. A buyer may wonder where they or their guests will park, but to put a negative dollar value on it is tough. I had one buyer who liked the fact that the street their house was on had the No Parking signs...they didn't like having all sorts of random cars parked in front of their house. So it was a positive for them!
Web Reference:  http://www.nwupdate.com