Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Cumberland : Real Estate Advice

  • All23
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying8
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 26
Fri May 29, 2015
Kelly Watkins answered:
Your best bet is to contact the agent that listed the home & ask for their assistance.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun May 10, 2015
James Jodoin answered:
I would visit the Department of business regulation website for the state you intend to operate your business out of. Each state has its own regulations and license requirements. By cleanout I am assuming you mean removing unwated articles from a foreclosure in a hurry? I would take into consideration the fuel, wear and tear on the vehicle/truck, etc. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun May 10, 2015
James Jodoin answered:
Well they can try to charge you whatever they want, it doesn't mean you have to pay. Of course, If it involves pulling old files out of storage, hiring a courier service, making copies of said document, etc, then a small fee should be expected, especially if its a document you were already given at closing. Did they offer to let you pick up said document and deliver it yourself for a reduced document fee? ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Mar 2, 2015
Amanda Hannon answered:
Seems worth it but I would do your research and have a company come out to look at it and make sure it is indeed OK.
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 18, 2015
Jkremer answered:
Check Out Ohio Listing this number is being used there in SCAMS. This is the problem with any other web sites outside of Proper MLS
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Aug 5, 2014
Al Pratte answered:

This a great question that many property owners and sellers ask. Because a basement is not above grade living space, but rather below grade space, it does not usually count toward a home’s square footage. However, it can be noted separately in the listing as below grade living area. By noting it separately and listing it as a finished area, any prospective buyer looking at your property on the MLS or online will see that the area is "livable".
Keep in mind when listing your property, it is extremely important to have photos of the finished basement. This will allow any buyers to see the improvements you have recently done to the space. If you would like any additional information, please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help.

Cheers, Al
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Mar 27, 2014
Al Pratte answered:

Your question does not mention a condo association. Could you tell me what location you are referring to and I would be happy to provide you with the information you want.

Al Pratte
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jun 20, 2013
Bill Eckler answered:

It's time to put your agent to work for you. Have them advocate mentioning that your understanding based on the seller's own words was the chandelier was remaining with the home.

With foreclosures there is a multitude of items that "walk" at various times. This should not be the case however, with short sales. Generally, light fixtures stay with the property unless it is stated otherwise in writing on the listing agreement or purchase agreement. In my opinion, if the light was there when you saw the home and the seller said, "it will stay" then it should be in the home at closing.

Good luck,

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri May 31, 2013
Scott Godzyk answered:
Your Buyer Agent should be guiding you through the purchase, if you purchased without an agent, it is then up to you to complete your due diligence of inspecting the home with your eyes before making an offer and then making your offer contingent upon a full inspection. Many times the Listing Agent may not even know of any problems unless the seller told them which most do not. Again it is your agent which should be looking for these red flags. And again if you purchase without your own agent, you must look for them and not just take peoples word. ... more
1 vote 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 30, 2013
Patricia Wash answered:
It would be interesting to know more about the language in the specs regarding the "waterproofing" means the builder agreed to.
It would also be interesting to know what kind of leakage and from where the leaking is occurring.
Are you in communication with the builder?
Is there a one year warranty on the new construction.
Did you have a buyers agent working for you?
Do you have an attorney?
New construction is not easy and not without peril. Have an attorney review the specs and negotiate on your behalf. Hope you can work it out.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Nov 2, 2012
Andrew Wilkinson answered:
Hi Gillian,

As a transplant from Edinburgh, Scotland myself, I completely understand how daunting it can be to start finding a place to live in another country. I'm here to help.

I'm happy to help you find the rental homes you're looking for. You mentioned Shrewsbury, Franklin and Hopkinton areas, but I'm not sure which state you're talking about. Can you clarify which state you're hoping to relocate to?

Looking forward to helping you out,

Community Manager
Trulia Voices
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Aug 1, 2012
Emily Kheradi answered:
A typical home inspection which includes structural/mecanical,pest,radon and septic is about $600. bucks. A clean out fee depends on the amount of stuff to be removed. I have good referrals on both. You may contact me thru my
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Dec 22, 2011
J answered:
Related to rental payments: If all is agreeable with your lender, their bank, and other involved third parties I would suggest collecting your rent payments in advance from the sellers in the form of a bank check or cashier's check. Perhaps, two month's in advance then month-to-month. The sellers are obviously well behind on their mortgage payments so they will have the money. If the deal falls through you simply reimburse the sellers back their money. Of course, a good real estate attorney will be needed to ensure proper documentation of the situation.

It would not be wise to agree to rental payments without advance compensation especially to sellers in pre-foreclosure. Take care of you and your family first and foremost. Good luck to you!
... more
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 22, 2011
Marie Souza Team answered:
Ask a real estate attorney to make sure you are covered.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 20, 2011
Don Tepper answered:
I've got good news and bad news.

Bad news: Most short sales are uncertain and unpredictable. Even if it's a reasonable price, as you note, "anything is possible."

Good news: From what's posted, $209,900 could be a reasonable price. That's not just based on the so-called comps and apparent trends . . . which may or may not be accurate. Rather, that it was priced at $224,900 on October 26 and apparently got little or no interest so it was reduced to $209,900 on December 1. That's a good factor to suggest that the market value is probably a lot closer to $209,900 than to $224,900 . . . and it could be lower than that. It helps to establish that history--that it was for sale at a higher price, it didn't sell, and so the price was lowered. So if you offered $209,900, it'd be difficult for the lender to come to the conclusion that it's worth much more than that.

On the other hand, you say "I don't want to go in too low." That implies you're thinking of a lower offer. Now, that's OK--you can offer whatever you want. But don't assume that $209,900 is overpriced or that the real value is, say, $185,000. There's no way to tell that.

As Terry and Anna suggest, get your own agent. (Not the listing agent.) Have your agent run the comps. That'll tell you about how much the property is worth. And remember: the lender has access to the same comps. So you'd be safer offering something close to (slightly under) the comps. The lower you go, the riskier it gets.

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 19, 2011
Shane Milne answered:
David, Kathy has a bankruptcy, not foreclosure.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 28, 2011
Cathy Sloan answered:

It is legal and happens often. One department of the bank does not stop processing a foreclosure because another department is working on the short sale. Crazy and seems inefficient, but thats the process.

However, it could be possible for the executor to go to the County court house with a copy of the active purchase and sale agreement, along with any correspondence indicating the first mortgage has approved the sale. There will be proper forms for the Executor to complete requesting the judge for an extension It usually takes about a week to hear the judge's decision. If an extension has not previously been granted, a judge will usually extend the sale date 60 - 90 days, to allow time to close the sale.

If the Executor is not available to do this the Listing agent may be allowed to submit the documents or ask the Short sale negotiator to assist. I am not sure if the Buyer or Buyer's agent can request an extension. I've never done this for a Buyer.

Get your agent to explore this option to buy time to complete the sale.

Best of luck.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun May 15, 2011
Anastasia Kaufman answered:
Hi, Kate,
Your location and situation sounds wonderful given the fact that you are the least expensive home on the street! It's always a negative to eliminate a bedroom since that is one of the biggest factors considered when purchasing a home. I would think really hard before making the master suite you suggested.
However, if you are staying in your home for quite a long time, then this renovation may be worth it to you for quality of life. In that case, having a nice size master with connecting bath is always wonderful to have. Also, I am finding that many of my buyers look for this master suite in the homes they are buying. It's very popular and almost expected. Feel free to contact me anytime at 401-338-2749 with any other questions. Regards,
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice
Cumberland Zip Codes