Crime & Safety in Novato>Question Details

Adrian G. Pop, Home Buyer in Novato, CA

what is property crime?

Asked by Adrian G. Pop, Novato, CA Tue Feb 25, 2014

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/776473-48-Sandy-Creek-Way-Nov…

Answers

4
Adrian G. Pop’s answer
Thank you for all the answers, you've all been most kind.

Is there a website that actually list the meaning/interpretation of the various Novato crimes.

I can figure out that SUS CIRC means suspicious circumstances, but what does that actually mean.

BODY is quite alarming as there seems to be quite a few in the Novato area.

@John I will take your advice, I think it is up to the community to stay vigilant and report suspicious activities.
Generally thefts, vandalism acts, arson, trespassing, etc., are considered property crimes....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 26, 2014
The most accurate crime reports are from the local authorities, you may want to consider a call. You can also check sites such as http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ and https://www.crimereports.com/
Flag Wed Feb 26, 2014
Hi Adrian,
I viewed the crime map for the property you are referencing and it stated that the property crime was "Trespassing". Many of the crimes there appeared to be false security alarms being activated.
Hope this is helpful!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 25, 2014
Thank you kindly :)
Flag Tue Feb 25, 2014
I've been seeing an inordinate amount of these questions popping up on Trulia in recent weeks. As I've said on the other threads I've commented on there's absolutely no way of guaranteeing that any neighborhood will have little or especially NO CRIME.

We're living in a very different time and place today. Unlike anytime since possibly the Great Depression we are living in very volatile socio economic times everywhere in America as well as most places in the World.

What with dynamics like poverty, homelessness, unemployment, illegal immigration and shear desperation it's clearly obvious why crime is on the rise everywhere. What were once considered very safe and secure upscale neighborhoods are now viable high value targets for those who wish to prey on them.

I've livee in a very laid back, low key semi rural North San Diego country neighborhood for the past 33 years. During that time we've never locked the doors on our cars or homes and we've always left our bicycles out unlocked.

In the past several months we've had an influx of multi-family or multi-tenant renters moving into several of the single family residents that have come up for rent throughout our neighborhood. Sometimes there are as many as a dozen old cars and trucks parked in the driveways and on the streets.

Common sense has to tell you that these folks aren't the most financially privileged or steadily employeed. Hence, lot's of folks are hungry and desperate to pay the rent so voila our once very safe and quiet neighborhoods become not so safe and secure.

As a result we've seen a dramatic increase in break-ins and burglaries. Fortunetley there has been no violent crime. Just folks stealing bicycles, lawn mowers & myriad garden tools or anything of value that's not secured. We even have a neighbor who's had 4 chickens stolen in the past month. Duh........ya think they might be hungry?

So we took measures into our own hands and with the help of local law enforcement we've facilitated a NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH PROGRAM. Since the signs have gone up and we've installed or activated existing security systems and video cameras and our buddies at the Sheriff's Dept have been making their presence known and we've all been keeping in touch with one another and notifying one another when we'll be out of town things have really calmed down. In fact there have been no incidents in the past couple of months.

So the long and short of it is that there is no totally safe and secure way of keeping your neighborhood free of crime. The best thing you can do is become involved in your community and stay aware of the folks who live around you.