Tanner Johns…, Other/Just Looking in Columbus, OH

what is considered a violent crime?

Asked by Tanner Johnson, Columbus, OH Fri Apr 27, 2012

Just curious about the statistics legend listing the # of violent vs non-violent crimes - where would someone go to verify this information, and what circumstances constitute a violent crime?

Answers

2
Susanna Malm…, Agent, Jupiter, FL
Sat Apr 28, 2012
Trulia has very detailed information about local violent and non-violent crime under Local Info - Crime.

I am attaching the link for Oakland, CA.
Ellen Lynch, Agent, Berkeley, CA
Sat Apr 28, 2012
I would recommend going on the Oakland Police site: http://www.oaklandpolice.com I think you can see the breakdown of crime in more detail there. Violent crime is crime where bodily injury occurs: battery (injury without weapons), assault, sexual crimes, murder obviously.

People often make the distinction between violent and non-violent crime. Having your home broken into and nobody hurt is a lot different than a "violent" crime where someone was attacked in the home during the burglary. Sometime violent crimes are committed during a robbery or burglary, and sometimes they stand on their own. Violent criminals are more dangerous in general, for obvious reasons.

I was on the Neighborhood Watch Steering committee in Oakland for a few years and am involved still in neighborhood watch. I strongly recommend checking out the local NCPC (Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council) near you or where you are considering moving/buying property. You can access the list through the City website: http://www.oaklandnet.com or call the City Council person in the district where a property is..and find out about neighborhood watch, block clubs etc. that meet. The Police attend the NCPC meetings and you can get a ton of info there! Good luck