what can i do about the vacant overgrown house nextdoor?

Asked by Rocco D'angelo, Teaneck, NJ Tue Jul 26, 2011

the owner rarely checks on its been vacant for 10 years. she come and talks to her self

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Nancy Price, Agent, Paramus, NJ
Mon Aug 1, 2011
all the comments that have been made so far basically refer the problem to the city officials who will take action - the same thing happened to the house next door where I live and they eventually had to cut the grass etc - if the owner wants to sell I have people who would be interested in this type of property so I would recommend the owner call me - Nancy Price, Re/Max Property Center, Paramus, 201-261-8111 ext 307
1 vote
Brian Morgen…, Agent, Hackensack, NJ
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Hi Rocco!

Very annoying, I know... Call the township. The main # is (201)837-1600 and they'll direct you accordingly. You can email the Public Works Department as well at DPW@TeaneckNJ.gov.

While you're at it, please email me (privately) the home's address to Brian@TheJerseyScene.com. I have clients who buy homes like that & rehab them...much better for your neighborhood property values!

I'm a Teaneck guy myself...

All the best!

1 vote
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Jul 27, 2011
To Sally's point, I've seen the same thing with a property in Somerset County - the residents so tired of the eye sore they have been mowing the overgrown and untended lawn themselves. It is an eye sore and also a value depleter for surrounding properties.

You should definitely alert the township and ask them what they recommend and do it so you have a documented process underway.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitmen to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
1 vote
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Wed Jul 27, 2011
This type of problem is usually handled by Code Enforcement within the Building Inspectors office.
1 vote
Kenneth Verb…, Agent, PRINCETON, NJ
Tue Jul 26, 2011
while you can certainly complain to town, you likely wont win any points for compassion and if you opt for the do it yourself method they could depend on this in the future or worse yet if you damage something or leave a condition where someone gets hurt open yourself to litigation. I would suggest first speaking to her and seeing if you can convince her to take steps for regular maintenance. (maybe call around for quotes) Have her contact an agent, perhaps she would consider selling.
1 vote
Barbara Ostr…, Agent, Closter, NJ
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Rocco, just pick up the phone and call the town manager's office -- they will probably refer you to the Health Department. When the Health department gets enough cojmplaints (i.e. get your neighbors to do the same, or get a petition signed and deliver it to the Municipal Building), the town will swear out a complaint against the homeowner, send the DPW to mow and trim everything, and add the cost of that service to the homeowners' property taxes. Keep reporting them! They are probably in the midst of foreclosure, or have other issues.
1 vote
Jeff K, Home Buyer, Bristol, PA
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Pretty simple. Just file a complaint with your town. The owner will receive a letter that they are in violation of XYZ (almost every town has regulations that say stuff like "grass must be kept shorter than 10", etc), and that they have X days (usually 7, 10 or 14) to remediate. If they don't they will be fined. If they continue to not take care of it, the town can fine them more heavily in court, etc.
1 vote
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Until the city takes action, I've seen neighbors take matters into their own hands and water and mow the lawn, pick up debris, etc. just to keep the neighborhood looking good (and keep property values up).

Be a good samaritan and help out!
1 vote
Bob Nowak, Agent, Kenosha, WI
Tue Jul 26, 2011
Sorry to say this is not the only home like this, most municipalitys will come and cut the grass and make sure the property is safe and secure, they typically will charge the owner much more than a typical lawn service which in some cases will make the owner start to maintain the property, if i were you i would contact the city administration offices and ask them, they will probably dispatch someone right away. hope this is helpful. Bob
1 vote
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Crime & Safety in Teaneck Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more