is this a safe area of waikiki?

Asked by Tim Shafel, Honolulu, HI Thu Aug 1, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/rental/3004287605-2420-Kuhio-Ave-Honol…

Answers

5
Rain Magyar, Agent, Waikele, HI
Wed Oct 9, 2013
Aloha Tim,
The building you are referring to has lots of homeless roaming due to the bus stop in front of the building. Also, is loud due to the bus stop. If you are looking for a safe and quite building you might want to try another building. Thank you and have a great day.
Naomi Corpen…, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Wed Oct 2, 2013
Aloha Tim,

When my clients ask me if this a safe area?? I must say.... it depends on your definition of safe... What I consider to be a sketchy area may not be so to you. To me it all depends on your own life experiences, situation, family status. I tell my clients it's best to do their own crime checks with in the area, Google crime rates, local news do a drive by at different times of the day if all possible... what the city or neighborhood looks in the morning maybe be totally different in the afternoon or evening!
Cathy Pierce, Agent, 96707, HI
Tue Aug 6, 2013
Hello Tim,

If you scroll down the listing to the Local Info map the second tab is Crime. If you click that you will see the level of crime in the surrounding area. The majority of the area around this particular listing is rated green for low crime. You can also hoover your mouse over the black dots to see exactly what the crimes were. They are almost all petty theft/larceny with a few vehicle break-ins and a burglary thrown in.

As the other agent has mentioned below, this is a high density area and there is a fair bit of blatant prostitution. However, this is also an area the city is very keen to keep family and tourist friendly. I think for a walk able neighborhood so close to the beaches and the downtown life that is Waikiki, this is as safe as you will likely find.

Warmest Aloha,
Catherine Pierce
A House-SOLD Name!
Bob Vieira Realty, LLC
808-352-0231
Many thanks for you lovely response,Linda & Lyle
Flag Sun Sep 29, 2013
Don Dietz, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Fri Aug 2, 2013
All of Waikiki is a densely populated area, It's filled with tourists, as well as local residents. Unfortunately, there is some prostitution, as well as some theft in the area, because of these factors.
There is a very large emphasis on the 'State level', to make sure this area is safe, for tourists, so there is a very large presence of uniformed and undercover police. This particular property is just 2 blocks away from the Waikiki Police Station, as well as the beach. So, it is relatively safe, but you are looking at a very densely populated area. It is also a very good area to invest in for rentals.

Hope this helps.
Frank Diaz, Agent, Honolulu, HI
Fri Aug 2, 2013
Aloha Tim,

Here are a few sites for reference:
http://hpdtraffic.com/
http://www1.honolulu.gov/nco/nb9/

Aloha,
Frank