Crime & Safety in Riverdale>Question Details

Jan Davis, Home Buyer in Detroit, MI

is braile street in detroit, michigan near grand river is it ok to live see a house for sale but not too sure about this area?

Asked by Jan Davis, Detroit, MI Sun Oct 14, 2012

This question was asked from…

Detroit is a hot mess...Mayor stripped all the funds he could and still wonder how many of his crew are still robbing Detroit blind!

Crime is up so much that driving thru Detroit you will die if the gangs dont know you.
Getting gas is like playing russian roulett.
Stop lights run um or risk a gun man snatchin your ride, n killin you for what ever they can pawn you owned.
This person is overexhaggerating. The crime in Detroit is pretty bad but not to this extent. Come on now.
Flag Sun Oct 28, 2012
Thanks for reply, yeah I know Detroit, is not the best I been the victim of crimes like 20 years ago, so I know. You have to make sure you be smart and careful and don't let people get up close on you, that is what I do and so far I have been bless to not be a victim again, you got to pray and of course watch your back! So I understand what you saying I have live here most of life before coming from MS. Be nice if I can move in another city but may can't afford it, thought of Inkster, but heard its bad but little better and plus the high water bills scare me from wanting to live there. I can't live in fear and not go out my house you have to be very cautious and smart living here in Detroit, but you got to live life and I still go out but I just know and learn which areas to try to avoid and definitely trying to do that since I want to move where I am at, some areas are worst then others so I'm trying to do my homework for not 2get n a worst area than where I am already at, that's all.
Flag Thu Oct 25, 2012
go to and type in the city and address zip for the area and it will give you the stats..also you can go to will also give you some data it may be a couple years old but still rather accurate..I grew up around the grand river mc graw area which is further north closer to downtown from the location you are referring to because braile is closer to lasher 6 -7 mile evergreen area which still has some nice property not all burned out and abandoned like my old neighborhood but the thing about detroit is during the day its a peaceful city for the most part but at night its like a war zone...braile street itself may be a good street but parts of lasher, grand river; 6 mile [which is also called Mcnicolas] & 7mile can be rough at times...that area is where people from my area moved to when we called ourselves moving up in the world but its not the same now...also you can go to google maps type in the address and it will pull up the the very house and area you are interested in but let me warn you the image is outdated because when i pull up my old area some of the houses that has long been vacant are being shown when they were occupied, also you can contact the local police in that area and ask about the crime rate. bottom line is use the mulitple sources when deciding where to move in detroit the research will be well worth and make the difference between a peaceful night sleep or being in a war zone.also chec sex offenders in the area its all free
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 21, 2012
sorry I hit the send button before I could finish... I hope this info was of some assistance to you and i hope you do decide to move to detroit although i no longer stay there i still love that city and plan on moving back there myself the river walk behind the renissance is beautiful'..Peace
Thank you for your help, I certainly appreciate it. I already live in Detroit, and I have a chance to move somewhere a little better, maybe find one of these cheap house under 10k but a I be concern with the areas. I would hate to get somewhere worst then I already am at, and that is the Tireman/Grand Blvd area, just to many inconsiderate, ghetto, drugs, house parties for me, after 15 years its time to go! Thanks and be bless in all you do!
Flag Wed Oct 24, 2012
Don't ever take anyone's word for it when buying property. Get an OBJECTIVE resource to go and look at the property for you (objective means NOT related to the sale at all if possible).

Get time and date stamped video and photos of the following:

1. Exterior of home
2. Interior of home
3. Home directly next to the property on either side
4. Home directly across the street
5. Homes on the block in either direction

Then have someone count the number of vacant properties, burned properties, and vandalized properties on that immediate block.

This is the only true protection you can have when buying and you're not able to drive by the property yourself. Keeps all parties honest.

We write a blog about issues facing people buying in Detroit:…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
Thanks a bunch for your advice. What I was hoping for is that maybe there was someone out there that actually lived on this street. Properties that I may be interested in having my buying agent to show me, I have been driving by them different times of the day to see how things are. I have also have taken account with vacant houses, or if there is a lot of people standing around on corners etc. Because I'm trying to get away from this ghetto hood I am in for the last 15 years. Tired of the weekend outdoors parties with as many as 200 people stroll all on around standing and peeing in my bushes. I'm on a corner and its just awful and disrespectful, been dealing with this the last 7 years and now that my brother died its time to go! So trying to find somewhere better, see a nice house on this street but also check the crime statistic see a lot of hot red zone. I doubt seriously if I ask the owner why they selling they not going to be truthful I feel. But thanks will do what you say!
Flag Sun Oct 14, 2012