hi i'm going to Kauai solo (female) this summer and have been reading a few bad things on crime in Kappa. what do people think about this?

Asked by Beachgirl, Kauai County, HI Sat Dec 31, 2011

Answers

4
Katerina Nor…, , Kauai County, HI
Sat Dec 31, 2011
Aloha! I personally live in Kapaa and have never been victim of a crime here, but do hear stories occasionally. Most common crime is petty theft, so please put away valuables and lock your car, and if staying in a ground floor unit, make sure your lanai/balcony door is locked. Violent crime is almost non-existent on the whole island and people in general are as friendly and outgoing as they come. Hope you enjoy your stay!
Bill Facker, Agent, Koloa, HI
Sat Dec 31, 2011
Aloha from beautiful Kauai. Like any other place, there are those who don"t want to play by the rules. But, I can tell you that Kauai is a very special place with incredibly warm and hospitable people. Simply be cognizant and careful with your belongings and don't put yourself into foolish situations on a personal level. I know you will fall in love with the Garden Island like millions around the planet have. Know that you can approach anyone on Kauai and they will happily give you advice about where to go and what to do while you are visiting. We are a small communtiy of less than 70,000 and I feel I'm one of the luckiest 70,000 persons on Earth to live on this incredible Island. Come .. Enjoy .. and please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance. I wish you a wonderful visit to beautiful Kauai. Aloha, Bill Facker
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Dec 31, 2011
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Sat Dec 31, 2011
Are you moving there, or just visiting? This is really a board for real estate advice.

That said, I think a savvy girl can visit nearly any place solo without problems (caveat for anyplace on the Failed State Index by Foreign Policy Magazine). You just want to stick to well-travelled areas, and be aware of your suroundings.