Would you consider Rockport a safe place to live? Is drug use bad there?

Asked by Kate7v, Rockport, TX Sat Jul 21, 2012

Just want to know the overall feel of safety from someone who lives there currently...Do you feel safe? Do you see a lot of ppl on drugs and are there a lot of violent crimes?

Answers

8
Carla Pennington’s answer
Carla Pennin…, Agent, Georgetown, TX
Fri Sep 7, 2012
Here are a couple of more websites you can search by address:
Mylocalcrime.com
Spotcrime.com
Check the school ratings on their public school website
Check for sex offenders at the state of Texas website
clayvollers, Home Buyer, Rockport, TX
Sun Sep 1, 2013
Yes and no. Safe and lots of drugs. The locals (the people without money - look at the poverty rate) are either drunks or drug users. As a contractor my biggest issue is finding help that will show up after they get paid. Lots of meth/ICE/opiate use among the younger people while the older "bay rats" prefer drinking 18 beers a day. Just from my experience, I wouldn't move kids or anyone who can't resist temptation here. (As one 28 year old woman from Ft Worth who developed a meth/heroin habit here told me "I thought Ft Worth was bad but they people are really f'ed up. I gotta get out of here."). I'm not selling anything, just my experience...stay away from the locals. BTW, don't leave your garage open...meth heads wander the streets looking for things to pawn.
On the good side...heavy police presence and little violent crime, just drugies and boozers acting like idiots.
Skip, Home Buyer, Rockport, TX
Wed Aug 8, 2012
My personal experience with Rockport has been positive. As with anywhere you can find crime but I feel for the most part Rockport/Fulton are safe. My suggestion is to take a few trips there and spend the time to drive around and learn the neighborhoods. If you find a nice home among trash then the nice home will have the value of trash. Drive through the neighborhoods and look at the people and the way their places are kept. Even older neighborhoods can be nice.
Carla Pennin…, Agent, Georgetown, TX
Fri Sep 7, 2012
Mylocalcrime.com
Spotcrime.com
Laura, Home Buyer, Bayside, TX
Fri Sep 7, 2012
I dont currently live there but my family and I are looking to relocate to that area. From my understanding its a retirement/ vacation town mianly. I've driven through it several times and have a relative that lives there it seems like a very nice clean town a bit pricey though because its prime real estate.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Aug 11, 2012
When it comes to any safety/crime related issues, it's always best to contact the local police department with all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand. If unfamiliar with the area(s) do revisit more than once and at different times of day, possibly chat with locals/neighbors. Real estate professionals are prohibited from steering, enticing a buyer to purchase/rent, or not, in specific neighborhoods.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/
https://www.crimereports.com/
http://www.homefair.com/
MJ Olsen, Agent, Rockport, TX
Sat Aug 11, 2012
I have lived here for 8 years. I happen to love living in Rockport. I don't say this because I am a Realtor - I was not a Realtor when we moved to Rockport. Rockport is a small community with a a number of big city amenities. For information about the area stop by the Rockport/Fulton Chamber of Commerce. Do I feel safe ..YES!!! I am not in an environment where I see any people on drugs... or crimes. I do recommend you that you come visit Rockport... and drive around .... pick up the local newspaper - The Rockport Pilot and read the local news. Call the police department and ask inquire what the drug and crime rate is like in Rockport. Skip, has a very good tip... and one I give to buyers when they are looking into what area to live. Drive around the many areas of Rockport - especially on weekends... you will get a pretty good feel of what it would be like to live in that subdivision.
Alison Hillm…, , San Francisco, CA
Mon Jul 23, 2012
Hi Kate,

Here is some up-to-date information on the crimes in the area, check it out and be safe out there!

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Rockport-Illinois/communit…

Ali, Community Manager