Why is your crimes in the orange.?

Asked by shawn, 49001 Sat Nov 2, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3067392684-471-W-South-St-Kal…

Answers

5
Richard Stew…, Agent, Kalamazoo, MI
Tue Feb 4, 2014
Crime statistics/reports can be very misleading. When a motorist gets arrested for a dui, it adds to the crime rate for that block. If a woman gets arrested for non payment of child support, that is an arrest on that block. Failure to appear for a traffic violation is a crime on that block. Shoplifting at a nearby store is a crime on that block. Kalamazoo jails many people that "we are mad at" and it is disturbing that non violent offenders take up more room in the jail than violent criminals. You can see for yourself each days arrests for Kalamazoo county at http://jail.kalcounty.com/ArchonixXJailPublic/Default.aspx You may be surprised to see what people are really being jailed for when a ticket might be a more reasonable solution than more jail space at taxpayer expense. I also recommend you talk to the neighbors when considering a home and get their first hand perspective, regardless of what a crime map might show. No report will make you feel as safe as good neighbors. I think many people underestimate the value in community with neighbors and how it helps keep a neighborhood safe.
catherinesha…, Home Buyer, Chicago, IL
Sat Nov 16, 2013
Also, I noticed the crime map is always higher around shopping centers because of shoplifting and credit card fraud, etc. You can use the crime map and hover over the black dots with your cursor and it will show you what kind of crime has occurred and the dates.
Joe Taylor, Agent, Portage, MI
Mon Nov 4, 2013
Most of the larger police departments in the Kalamazoo/Portage area have crime information on their websites. Jt
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sat Nov 2, 2013
Paul McIntyre, Agent, Portage, MI
Sat Nov 2, 2013
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "in the orange", Shawn, but my answer would be the same regardless. Due to anti-discrimination laws, Realtors are precluded from providing information about crime in any particular area. If you are concerned about the level of crime in a neighborhood you should call the local police department which can provide you with more specific public information. Some departments have printed crime reports available, others will give you information over the phone. You can also search for crime maps on the Internet. Be aware, though, that these sites sometimes don't have complete information, or don't tell the whole story. One of my clients was shocked to learn the crime rate in her area was sky high. Upon further investigation, she found that the "crimes" reported were mostly noise violations and other nuisance citations common to neighborhoods with a high percentage of college students. While there were a lot of orange flags, the issues weren't personal safety concerns.