Crime & Safety in Long Beach>Question Details

Lt, Other/Just Looking in Long Beach, CA

Which neighborhoods in Long Beach are affordable and safe for a young, single female?

Asked by Lt, Long Beach, CA Tue Dec 22, 2009

I'm looking to rent a studio ($600-800) in a diverse, walkable neighborhood but have been warned against the East Village Arts District and other areas near downtown. Should I be concerned? I want to feel integrated into the 'city' but don't want to wholly sacrifice my safety.

Richard Schulman’s answer
Check with your local police department for recommendations and crime stats, if they keep them. Specifically, look at how neighbors of a potential rental maintain their properties.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Richard Schulman
#1 Listing and Selling Agent
Keller Williams West LA
An area you should consider is Bixby Knolls. There are lots of nice homes in the area but apartments are available too. You could start on Carson St, between Orange and Atlantic. There are a number of apartments and I've seen for rent signs recently. A little farther north on Orange, just past San Antonio Drive you will find the Banner Circle Apts, and some other Apts that are nice.

These are pleasant walkable areas, and you can still get downtown easily in about 15 minutes.

I would advice against living downtown. There are some problem areas and it's not the safest place for you.

Good luck in your search.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 26, 2009
You'll certainly find diversity in Long Beach. I lived in Belmont Hts when I was in my early twenty's. It was great, with close restaurants and nightlife. Check out this link for safety info . I rented an apartment that was in a residential neighborhood, located upstairs of a nice home. To me, that seems like a really safe alternative to apartment living.

Since you are concerned about safety, why not visit the local police department and ask all your questions--they'll gladly answer, and you'll be happy to have heard the information firsthand. Do your own homework first, to make sure your comfort level can be reached--keep in mind real estate professionals are prohibited from enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in certain neighborhoods.
A studio will probably run $8-900 a month. The Arts District is in my opinion, a border area and you would need to keep your eyes open. 2nd St from 2100-3500 East has some condo with one bedrooms or condos that might meet your need. The best way is to drive the area, day and night to get a feel so you are comfortable. That way you zero in based on your comfort level
Mr. Klazura,

I'm actually looking for a place to rent - a studio or one-bedroom at most - hopefully for under $800/month. I've seen a couple of places so far, and though the neighborhoods seemed perfectly safe I have heard quite a lot from friends and coworkers about finding a safe neighborhood in LB. (Their opinions seem to be that there aren't many, but I don't think that's true - I just don't know where they are. Or, rather, which areas to completely avoid.)

Your best choice would be somewhere in Belmont Shore/Heights. You'll be paying at least $800+ for a studio but you'll be safest and able to walk everywhere to eat, shop, drink, etc. You could also consider anywhere east of Cherry Ave. south of 4th St. South of Broadway would be better until you get east of Temple Ave. In those areas you would be able to find a studio under $800. You could also consider anywhere east of Redondo from PCH to Ocean though walking places is limited depending on where you're actually at. The East Village and Alamitos Beach areas are decent areas though you'll be dealing with what you get when living in a downtown environment. Stay south of 4th from Linden to Alamitos and South of Broadway from Alamitos east to Cherry and you'll be OK.
Define "affordable"? How many bedrooms, house or condo, what monthly payment are you seeking, how many square feet, local schools important or not, etc? The more information you provide, the easier it is to zero in on your options so that you do not waste your time. Feel free to give a call, thank you