Crime & Safety in Phoenix>Question Details

Justveesa, Renter in Phoenix, AZ

Where is a safe area to move? Are apartments better than renting a house or townhouse?

Asked by Justveesa, Phoenix, AZ Fri Feb 22, 2013

I'm starting a job near 31st and durango and I dont want to live in that area and I've been doing a lot of research trying to find a safe place to live but I'm not sure where's best that's not too far away. Are apartments generally safer than a single family home? I heard the farther south you go in Phoenix, the worse the crimes are. I'm new to Phoenix and have never lived in a city like this and I'm really worried about safety. Any tips/advice is really appreciated! Thanks :)

Answers

4
Debbie Nieman’s answer
There are a number of websites and avenues to answer your questions.

I can forward you some of those websites but talking with people you will be working with may give you some insights as to area's you want to consider home.

As a real estate professional you can not steer a potential client to certain areas or tell them our opinion as to what is a good area or what is not.

Someone may not want to be close to a school or church where someone else may find those area's very desireable.

Regarding crime rates, contact the local police department and or check on the website for crime statistics for xyz zip code...that way you can find out information on your own.

Do some driving around and follow your instinct.

Hope this helps.

Debbie Nieman
602-799-5239

http://www.diverdebi.com
http://www.diverdebirealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 23, 2013
You can use many websites to check the crime reports in different areas based on the property address. What is the budget that you have for rent on the new home? That will really be a significant determining factor in the location that you end up in.
Realtors can not answer that question, but other fellow buyers and investors can.

You've heard right (sort of)! South Phoenix is not good. In general stay away from South Phoenix, and stay away from the West. Yes, you can find cheap newer develpments in the West, but those are not good areas (hence cheap) and in a few years it will be worst.

There are many good areas around Phoenix. I specifically like Chandler, Gilbert & Ahwatukee (safe and very family oriented), but those may be too far from you. Tempe is also good. Scottsdale has some nice and expensive areas - although it also has some not-so-good areas. If you want to stay in Phoenix, try to stay in the "streets" and avoid the "avenues" (meaning stay east of Central).
I think if you head a couple of miles west of there, to around 51st Avenue and Baseline, you will find a newer neighborhood that is pretty nice.