What is the crime rate in modesto, ca?

Asked by Wanda, fort campbell, ky 42223 Sat Jan 19, 2008

I would like to move to Modesto. What natural disasters are in this area? Is there a gang or drug problem ?

Answers

6
Mike, Both Buyer And Seller, Farmington, NM
Tue Jul 15, 2008
Everything is relative. We moved from suburban Detroit two years ago and love it. Downtown Modesto is much safer than downtown Detroit. The East and North parts of the city are much different/safer than the west and southwest areas. We've seen very little crime. (tho stat-wise it has the highest rate of car theft so your car insurance rate will be high.) I've not seen any gang evidence in the suburban areas. The young people have been pretty decent, especially those in the service industry (restaurants and retail stores)--much better service than back in suburban Detroit where the teens view customers as an intrusion.

Most people have been much friendlier than they were in Michigan! And the weather is SO much better, compared to a Michigan winter (or summer)! We are 90 minutes to two hours from San Francisco, San Jose, Yosemite, Sacramento, Santa Cruz, Monterey/Carmel, the coast, ocean and many national forests. You may also prefer Turlock or Tracy which isn't too far and have better reputations.
Best of success to you!
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Jul 15, 2008
Wanda,
As previously stated, contact the local police or Sheriff's department. They have the most reliable and current information.
Bob, Home Buyer, Oregon
Sun Mar 23, 2008
The State of California keeps statistics. Your Realtor might not give an opinion...
Eric Bryant, , Long Beach, CA
Mon Jan 21, 2008
Hi Wanda, it's "The Coach" again! The crime rate is far higher than the citizens of Modesto would prefer, but again, it is a big city. Some of the surrounding cities I mentioned in my answer to your other question, however, are rated amongst the safest cities in California to live. So again, there is likely a city nearby that would give you the feeling you are looking for. Let us know if we can help? BTW, in my last post, I said the 31 rated schools in the county, I meant to say the #1 rated schools (missed shift key :-) ) Hope that helps! "The Coach"
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Sat Jan 19, 2008
Wanda....

I would suggest you check with the local police and or sheriff's department to get the statistics on this. We must remain impartial and this is the best advise we can give you without violating our license.
Joann, , Modesto, CA
Sun Apr 13, 2008
Why would you want to move to Modesto???Would be my first response... we are trying to move out!!!! This place is just horrible..yes there are gang problems many of them..I hope you don't like to wear the colors red or blue because if you do then you will be in trouble, those colors aren't even allowed at most schools. My mothers house about 4 houses away from us was broken into about a month ago..I have had police with dogs and drawn guns search my back yard for criminals, I have seen Floyd Ave. closed off and a swat team deployed and then never even mentioned about in the newspaper, There is continuous sirens at night but hey if all this sounds wonderful to you then by all means come on over, I know a couple of houses that will be on the market soon....