What are some safe and affordable areas in Austin?

Asked by SportingMTX, Frisco, TX Mon Jul 23, 2012

My fiancee and I are recently engaged students from Dallas trying to get our first place together. She will be at UT while I attend Texas State. However, I'm having trouble finding a one bedroom lease within our budget (around $600-$800). We found a place we love in the 78741 area but am not sure about that zone. According to the APD website 78741 has some of the most crime in the city. I've lived in bad areas in the past here in Dallas and it's not something I want my fiancee to worry about. The problem is that I'm not too familiar with Austin and how it compares to the crime zones in Dallas. Are they as bad as in Dallas? I'm going down to Austin sometime this week but it's been hard coming up with a list of potential places to look at. Every place I've looked at so far on our budget is either in a crime zone or falling apart. If someone could steer me in the right direction as far as good areas I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Answers

3
Natalie Young, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Jul 27, 2012
Natalie Young
Manager
A+ Apartment Locators
512.484.9022
Natalie Young, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Jul 27, 2012
Hello! I would love to assist you in finding the perfect place to call home here in Austin. I am a licensed real estate agent and focus primarily in Apartment Locating. I have been helping Austin renters find the perfect place to call home for the past 7 1/2 years. I am very familiar with the areas, different communities, as well as pricing and specials.

While I can't tell you what is safe and what is not (according to the Texas Real Estate Commission,) I can tell you where I would or would not live.

My services are FREE! Feel free to google my name and read reviews of my services from past clients. Please call me when you can to chat about your move and arrange a time to meet. I look forward to speaking to you soon!

Natalie Young
Manager
Theodosia Sh…, , Austin, TX
Wed Jul 25, 2012
Realtors are prohibited from Steering, this can cause someone's a licence. No any licenced realtor can tell you from their own words where are the low, no or high crime areas. What a realtor can do is just give you information on where to find crime information and you have to make your own informed decision on those areas.

Please visit the following sites for Austin crime updates.

http://www.krimelabb.com
Local maps, crime reports & classifications and real-time interactive maps. Plus, sign up for free email crime alerts for your neighborhood.

http://www.spotcrime.com
Austin city-wide crime data - a direct connection to info from the APD Incident Reports Database.

Hope above helps.

Theo