We rented a vacation house in Juno Beach in April and still do not have our deposit money back. Can you?

Asked by Doris Stevens, Louisville, KY Fri Jun 13, 2008

recommend a lawyer or agency who deals with this type of claim since we do not live in Juno Beach and don't know where to go. Thanks!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Zachary Schm…, Agent, Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Tue Dec 2, 2014
?Consult a Real Estate Attorney, Sandra has helped a past customer with this exact situation with a successful outcome.

Sandra R.B. Wallace, Esquire

Wallace Law, P.A.4440 PGA Boulevard | Suite? 600? | ?Palm Beach Gardens, FL 334?10?
(561) 623-5302 - Office | (561) 768-7930 - Fax | swallace@wallacelawpa.com
0 votes
Jim Soda, , Sarasota, FL
Sat Jun 14, 2008
You are best to get an Atty. to advise and make any necessary filings. The following is the premise for return of Security Deposit:
*Upon the vacating of the premises for termination of the lease, if the landlord does not intend to impose a claim on the security deposit, the landlord shall have 15 days to return the security deposit together with interest if otherwise required, or the landlord shall have 30 days to give the tenant written notice by certified mail to the tenant's last known mailing address of his or her intention to impose a claim on the deposit and the reason for imposing the claim. The tenant is required to give the landlord a valid address at which the tenant can be contacted.
Jim Soda 941-809-7759
Prudential Palms Realty
Sarasota - Longboat Key - Lakewood Ranch
Web Reference:  http://jimsoda.com
0 votes
Roger Theria…, Home Owner, Lantana, FL
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Try Jim Cioffi, he's a real estate attorney in northern Palm Beach County. (561) 747-6000. Link below...

and good luck
Web Reference:  http://jamescioffi.com/
0 votes
John Peralta, Agent, Oviedo, FL
Fri Jun 13, 2008
I did a little more research. You must get familiar with the Florida landlord tenant law. I will try to provide a link. If the link doesn't work I have copied a section you might be interested in.

This is in section 83.49 f.s.

"When you move out, the landlord must either return your deposit within 15 days of termination of the rental agreement, if the landlord does not intend to impose a claim upon the security deposit; or justify in writing by certified mail, to the tenant's last known mailing address within 30-days upon termination of a rental agreement, as to why they are keeping a portion of or all of the deposit. If the notice is not sent as required within the 30-day period, the landlord forfeits his/her right to impose a claim upon the deposit, unless you fail to give proper notice prior to vacating."

You might try sending the landord a copy of the law and stating that you will take him to court and he will lose. Send it certified mail with signature required as proof of delivery.

And yes, an attorney is still your best bet for advice. Good Luck
0 votes
Doris Stevens, , Louisville, KY
Fri Jun 13, 2008
Thank you. I'm glad you were successful and your letter is encouraging. Since I am out-of-state, I do not think I can file by myselft (logistics) so I am looking for a lawyer. Do I search for a real estate lawyer?
0 votes
John Peralta, Agent, Oviedo, FL
Fri Jun 13, 2008
I tried to paste a link off of a google search for a lawyer in Juno but for some reason it wouldn't paste. Since you are here on Trulia I assume you know your way around the internet. A simple search should give you a pool of lawyers to interview. Just a side note, about 15 years ago I had trouble retrieving a deposit from a lease. The amount was less than $1500. I was able to file in small claims court. After the judge reviewed the case I was awarded the funds. No lawyer was involved. Of course it's up to you to determine if you need an attorney. Good Luck
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Crime & Safety in Juno Beach Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more