Crime & Safety in 60622>Question Details

Jeremy, Other/Just Looking in 60657

Safety - West Town (west of Western)

Asked by Jeremy, 60657 Tue May 26, 2009

I am looking at condos between western and california, division and north. Well constructed duplex down units with 2000 sq ft listed at 350K that seem like such a good value. After going to the CPD wesbsite and looking at crimes in beat 1423 (those streets mentioned above), the burglury and drug crimes are HUGE compared to my current lakeview neighborhood (lakeview 24 combined, west town 100 combined). While I am excited to live in a more economically diverse neighborhood, I don't want to get mugged walking my dog at 10PM. I realize this is a risk everywhere, but its all relative. When I called the local desk sargeant at CPD, he said "realtors dont want to heat this but stay away, go further east to Damen." There are so many nice places on the market, current tennants claim they are safe great stuff on Division is just 4 blocks away. While I am a single male who doesn't plan to have children, I want my friends family who visit to be safe in their travels. Thoughts?

Answers

3
My office is at 2538 W. Chicago Ave. and we love this area. Have you driven/walked these areas to get a feel if you feel comfortable? The City of Chicago web site is a good source and http://chicago.everyblock.com/locations/neighborhoods/west-town/ is a useful site.

Just let me know if you need any help with your search.

I have lived in this part of town for five years. There doesn't seem to be any more crime in this area than there was in 1997 when I lived east of Damen. If you are interested in the area and are not represented by an agent, I would be happy to talk to you.

I have over twenty years of experience and know these properties very well.

Phil Burnstine
Broker Associate
Thornton Properties
773-255-1506
To further clarify, those crime stats are in the last 90 days. There isn't trending data I can get from CPD to know if its stagnant or on the decline.