Renting in Athol this year. Is it safe?

Asked by PeeledEye, Northborough, MA Thu Jun 21, 2012

Im looking to move to Athol from Southborough this year. Is it a safe area overall?

Answers

4
Michael, , 01351
Sun Jul 22, 2012
I moved to Athol 3 years ago and find it to be a relatively quiet community. Crime seems limited to petty property crimes or domestic disputes. I have never felt unsafe in town, and I don't fear for my wife and young daughter. It is a quiet New England town with beautiful architecture and large historic homes at a bargain price. It doesn't have the best schools and employment in town is limited, but my experience has been that the people are pleasant (triple check any contractor you hire though!) and it is located well for commuting east and west on route 2 and there are several good charter schools in the area. If you are looking for a big bang for the buck house Athol is a good buy, lots of character and characters.
Vicky, Home Buyer, Orange, MA
Tue Nov 13, 2012
Yes, we bought a farm in Athol in 2007. We have never had any problems with any property crime, etc. Some neighborhoods might be better than others (safer), but overall we love Athol and have enjoyed the Quabbin area for outdoor sports (kayaking, hiking, etc.) Everyone we've met has been friendly. We plan to stay, retire in the area (Orange or Athol). It's great.
Christine Mo…, Agent, Wilbraham, MA
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Call the police department see if they have info for you on crime.
Barbara Van…, Agent, Shrewsbury, MA
Thu Jun 21, 2012
Suryakuts,

Real estates cannot provide this information for you. I suggest that you contact the local police department in any town that you are moving to. You can also get demographic information by city or zip code at city-data.com. I hope this is helpful.
Thanks!
Flag Thu Jun 21, 2012