Our car has been broken into 3 times in the same un lit part of our apartment's parking lot- we usually have

Asked by Giz3, Lynnwood, WA Fri Apr 24, 2009

no choice but to park there b/c the parking sucks. Can we break our lease b/c of this reoccourance? We are in WA state... the other 2 times the doors were jimmied and this time they smashed the window. cant tell if its a tennant or not and we know of no one that would do this to us!

Answers

4
Douglas Lovi…, , Lynnwood, WA
Tue Oct 27, 2009
Whether you can break your lease or not is really a question for an attorney. However, it sure seems to me that the complex has a responsibilty to provide some security for the complex. Lighting is one of those issues that properties owners have found themselves in court over numerous times. You need to consult an attorney regarding your rights with the lease.
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Sun Sep 29, 2013
Agree on the attorney comments.

I would point out though that the best security is a single car garage. Even with lighting and cameras there will still be break-ins in some outside areas and common garages. Cameras though probably help more than lighting, but neither is a cure-all.

Then there's also alarm systems, although if you go that route I would highly suggest getting a good system that won't have a lot of false alarms to bother your neighbors, and get one that will send a signal to a device in your apartment so that you know the alarm has been tripped. I don't, however, recommend confronting a thief.
Brad Thomsen, Agent, Edmonds, WA
Sun Sep 29, 2013
I would recommend speaking with an attorney. Certainly you want to feel safe and secure where you live. An attorney will be able to help you understand your rights and to develop a strategy moving forward.
David Broggel, Agent, LYNNWOOD, WA
Tue Nov 17, 2009
I think Doug makes a great point, consult with an Attorney, but lighting seems like not only a security issue, but potentially a safety issue as well. Good luck!