My realter held information from me as a buyer and tried to hide a counter proposal from me. Is this a criminal act?

Asked by Bill, Red Lion, PA Sat Jun 25, 2011

Answers

12
Voices Member, , Austin, TX
Fri Jul 1, 2011
You definitely have the option of filing a complaint about your agent with both the local Board of Realtors, and with the state agency which regulates agents. If your agent did not tell you, upfront, that the listing agent was his father, then that's something else you should be able to add to your complaint (In my state, at least, that has to be disclosed). You can speak to an attorney, but this sounds more like an ethical problem than a criminal problem.
Bill, Home Buyer, Red Lion, PA
Fri Jul 1, 2011
the broker emailed me and said an addendum is in the works that will resolve this problem, that my contract is valid and in force. the realters dad is the listing agent and reactivated the property on craigslist and his own prudential web site. i'm being held captive as they have 20% of a down payment as well as other fees, so i sit while they play at my expense.
Bill, Home Buyer, Red Lion, PA
Wed Jun 29, 2011
Can anyone refer be to a good real estate attorny in York, pa.?
Bill Seufert, Agent, Lancaster, PA
Mon Jun 27, 2011

That's a tough questions. When you speak to the broker ask the question or contact your attorney for clarification.
Web Reference:  http://www.moveyork.com
Bill, Home Buyer, Red Lion, PA
Mon Jun 27, 2011
The contracted real estate agent's father was the listing officer and is verified by emails that he negotiated the entire process. Between the two of them they have 67 years of real estate contracts. Is he accountable for enabling?
Joe Sheehan, Agent, Exton, PA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Any changes to the agreement of sale by either party has to be initialed and dated by all principals in the transaction. If the seller changed the agreement, initialed and dated it, then you must also initial and date the changes. Otherwise, there is no agreement. There is no contract.

Also, if you are financing the transaction with a mortgage, I would bet that most lenders would not permit the financing of furniture and personal property as part of the home purchase transaction. I always advise my buyer and seller clients never to include personal property, furniture, etc. in the sale or purchase of a home for that reason.

Good Luck with your home purchase.

Joe Sheehan
Keller Williams Real Estate
Exton, PA 19341
Office: (610) 363-4300
Cell: (484) 948-0936
jsheehan@josephsheehan.com
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Hi, It's not a criminal act but more a case of mis representation which can become a big problem if the items are in the fully executed contract. Unfortunately this type of stuff happens and you have to decide if you want to move forward or not. In NY we tend to keep personal property out of the contracts and let the buyer & seller work out their own deal.

Chris
Web Reference:  http://raveis.com/chrispagli
Bill Seufert, Agent, Lancaster, PA
Sun Jun 26, 2011

I would venture a guess that if the broker is involved you should expect that things start to go in the right direction. Again, if not, contact the local board and/or an attorney.
Bill, Home Buyer, Red Lion, PA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
The whole matter is I made an offer to buy a condo with all the personal property furniture, washer, dryer etc.. no exclusions. The realter informed me that my offer was accepted in whole, but excluded hangings on walls, contents in garage. What he forgot to mention was the seller had crossed out and initialed all personal property. He held me hostage with this contract and his broker, manager has intervined. He's now attempting to engage in some dialect. I would consider criminal action as the deal was all but settled with many hours of legwork logged.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Jun 26, 2011
No, it's not a criminal act.

However, it could be unprofessional conduct and a violation of the Realtor Code of Ethics. As Anna and Bill suggest, talk to your agent's broker. Explain what happened. The broker has the power to take some disciplinary actions and to assign you a different agent.

Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Jun 26, 2011
Have you contacted his/her broker owner, and or, office manager and expressed your concerns....for any legal advice needed, consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate.
Bill Seufert, Agent, Lancaster, PA
Sun Jun 26, 2011

Sorry to hear that. I would call his/her broker and if that doesn't get you want you want then call the Realtor's association. I'm not sure it would be classified as a criminal act as much as an ethical issue.

Web Reference:  http://Www.moveyork.com