My husband and I are looking to purchase a home in Michigan Park but are concerned about the crime rates. Are these rates increasing or decreasing?

Asked by Dibs Shermat-andrews, Washington, DC Mon Feb 25, 2013

I am concerned because I commute to work and often come home late. Also, there is talk of new developments being built, such as a Walmart and an arts space. Will these developments help bring down crime, or could crime possibly increase as more people are brought to the area?

Answers

9
Lanre Folayan, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon Aug 12, 2013
Hello Dibs Shermat-Andrews,

I always tell home buyers that we as Realtors adhere to strict codes and standards. As far as crime goes,I always tell people to get a Police Report of that particular neighborhood. Also walk or drive by there at night. Night time will give you a very good idea how the neighborhood is like since everybody is home from work or school.

Much luck to you in making your decision.
Jwsaid, Home Owner, Washington, DC
Wed Jun 12, 2013
Dibs,

I live in North Michigan Park and its a great neighborhood.
Neighbors are friendly and look out for one another.
I haven't experienced any problems, crime, etc. I often
come home late and I don't feel any more or less safe
in my neighborhood than I would in say Tenley Town.
You always have to be cautious regardless of time,
location,, etc. in any neighborhood anywhere. That's
a reality. I would suggest driving through the neighborhood.
It's a great place for families.
Esther Mwili…, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Tue Feb 26, 2013
You can always check, http://www.city-data.com
Akil Walker, Agent, Upper Marlboro, MD
Tue Feb 26, 2013
HI Dibs,

Discussing crime rates is outside of our scope of work. If you are interested in the community i would recommend you drive around the various neighborhoods at different times during the day and night to get a sense of your comfort level.

you can go to http://www.dc.gov and look under MPD for crime information and data. They use PSA or Police Service Areas to break down different areas.
Alma Moore, Agent, Alexandria, VA
Tue Feb 26, 2013
check with police dept for accuracy
Jay Schlaffer, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Michigan Park is a great neighborhood. I had a listing there a while back and made it my business to walk around and get a feel for the neighborhood. I recommend you do he same, its a great neighborhood. Check out the other side of South Dakota Ave as well.
Kathy Hender…, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon Feb 25, 2013
North Michigan Park offers an excellent quality of life. Crime rates here are much lower than in other parts of Ward 5. I am happy to help you find the right home in this community, and at the right price. I am happy to discuss overall crime rates here and throughout Ward 5. I support your decision to live in North Michigan Park and look forward to helping you and your spouse make that happen. Feel free to contact me at (202) 556-5823.

Kathy Henderson
Realtor, Coldwell Banker
Ward 5 resident and community leader
Hillary Nash, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Hi Dibs,

As agents we are not allowed to discuss crime rates with customers. However, I always recommend doing a couple of trial runs around the neighborhood to see if you feel safe. I would drive around the neighborhood late at night, or try walking a certain distance and use that as a marker for whether you want to live there.

What I can say is that Michigan Park is mainly a nestled, quiet community, and the development that is coming around will attract lots of wonderful retail space that gives the residents some much needed amenities. Usually, property values take a turn upward once these projects are complete.

The Washington Post has a section on Real Estate and crime that documents incidents in different neighborhoods in the DC Metro Area, I recommend that you look there, and that may help you. If there are any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me, I am a resident of Brookland, a neighborhood very close to Michigan Park.

I hope this was helpful!

Hillary Nash McAuley
Nash Holdings Co.
Exit Elite Realty
202.907.7301
hillarynash@mris.com
Jason Skipwo…, Agent, Washington, DC
Mon Feb 25, 2013
Hi Dibs,

I am glad you are pursuing avenues to do your due diligence for your peace of mind purchasing in a new neighborhood. While your question is a good one to consider, it's also what I call a "crystal ball question." DC is a major metropolitan city, so the old cliche comes to mind...."crime has no address." You are going to receive the gamut of answers on here. The best suggestion I make to my clients is to go visit these unfamiliar neighborhoods of interest at different times of day during different times of the week/weekend. And when you are in those neighborhoods, during the day/on the weekend, walk around, introduce yourself to people, let them know you are considering moving there, ask how long they have been there, and get their insight on the neighborhood. I believe that's your best way to get an honest opinion and real perspective. And of course, contact the police department for that Ward for a list of crime history. I hope this helps. If you want to discuss further, feel free to contact me.