Crime & Safety in 94612>Question Details

Amanda Warde…, Renter in San Francisco, CA

Is 13th Street and Webster a safe neighborhood?

Asked by Amanda Wardell, San Francisco, CA Mon Jul 11, 2011

I'm thinking about purchasing a loft at 330 13th Street. I've asked around, called the neighborhood watch, and looked at the crime maps, but I'm not really getting a good feel for how safe the neighborhood is. I'd like to hear from someone who has lived there fairly recently. I take BART to work and have a dog, so I would do a fair amount of walking, sometimes at night. Not too late. Can someone share their opinions of living in that area?

Answers

5
Hi Amanda: If you take Bart to work, and you rent in SF, does that mean you work in Oakland? Anyways, the best advice in my opinion is your own "feeling" about walking in that neighborhood around the time you would be doing that if you would live there. Take a friend and ask for her / his input as well. I can tell you it is safe per haps, but my tolerance would be different from yours.
Try it out first is the way to go before making a commitment to buy. Have a Belgian pint at the Trappist before you go back to SF.
Antoine
Web Reference: http://theeastbaybroker.com
Amanda,

Crime maps are useful to a point, but they don't give context to the statistics. Kenny has a good idea, although I think the best way to get the backstory is talk to the folks at the local police precinct. This has worked very well for a number of clients over the years, in some cases helping decide to buy, in some cases helping them decide to look elsewhere.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
Hi Amanda,
It sounds like you have done a lot of sleuthing and you are smart to take the time to make sure this will be a place you can call home for awhile. Like any big city, Oakland is full of a lot of pockets where an area is light on crime but then you will hear of some random situation that took place that makes you pause and wonder, what's happening.

Kenny did have a good idea. If this is a big concern, which I think it is, the only thing I can add is for you to walk the area now and during the escrow period at different hours of the day and see if you feel comfortable.

I see your from San Francisco and unfortunately the news does a fair amount of reporting crime in Oakland but then they don't take the time to report when the crime has been resolved. We really need to work on our PR with the news reporters. Best of luck, Oakland has a lot to offer and I hope you love it here as much as I do.:)

P.S. If you move, I have a Local Events and Happenings page on Facebook you might want to sign up for. You can go to my website http://www.rockridgedigs.com and click Like on the bottom of the page, or just check in on in when you're looking for something fun to do in the east bay. All the best!
you may also want to check the crime reports. See http://oakland.crimespotting.org/

13th and Webster is almost right at Chinatown --- where you will find at least a couple of 24-hour Chinese restaurants. There's almost always someone walking to Chinatown, a lot of whom are residents of the downtown condos.

If you have someone who can drive you to the location at night, check out the neighborhood --- and see if you would feel safe walking there.
That's a great idea, thanks Kenny.