Is it important to consider how close a property is to known location of registered sex offenders?

Asked by Chabnam, Illinois Thu Jun 19, 2008

Found a house is a great school district, but several sex offenders live between 1/2 a mile to 3 miles around the area!

Answers

5
Richard Dyks…, Agent, Frankfort, IL
Wed Feb 6, 2013
I agree with most of the feedback you've already received. It's something that you would have to decide whether or not your comfortable with on a personal level. When dealing with Buyers, I personally haven't had an experience that someone that decided against a property due to a registered sex offender. However, I'm sure there are some that have. I guess my point is it would help to know ahead of time and keep in mind as a potential sticking point on the re-sale side.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Jul 27, 2011
You can buy a house. in a good neighborhood, and a year later, they move in.
There are things you just can't control.
30 years ago, we didn't know or understand anything.
It is all your decision.
Take Respons…, , 60462
Wed Jul 27, 2011
It all comes down to...do you care? I mean do you know about the drunk drivers? the drug dealers? the prostitutes? gang bangers? the people who speed? disobey stop signs? stop lights? murders?
I think this sex offenders list is a bunch of bull and is singling out people who did their time. And before you go there no I am NOT an offender in fact I am/was a VICTIM.
Dan Hurley, Agent, Alsip, IL
Wed Mar 23, 2011
Hi Chabnam, good question! You say there is a great school district which means probably lots of good families also. I would say it comes down to whether you can feel comfortable with the knowledge of these past offenders living in the area. Check out the state's website, they provide pictures of the offenders in the area so you can be aware of who they are. Good luck in your decision and if you need a good Realtor, please call!
Sean Cochran, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Naperville, IL
Thu Jun 19, 2008
Hi Chabnam. I would say it is always important to consider that. However, also take into consideration how many people live in that 3 mile area. You are probably talking about a very very small percentage of the population there being sex offenders. Let me know if you are in need of a mortgage broker.