Is crime an issue in Brooklyn?

Asked by Halley S., New York, NY Mon Apr 23, 2007

How safe is it or does it feel to walk around? And, is this the case across the city, or are there differences in different areas?

Answers

8
Aaron, , Binghamton, NY
Wed Jul 4, 2007
While it is true that the crime rate is lower than it has been, crime is still a significant issue in many parts of Brooklyn. The answer is that it is relative. In most of Brooklyn, I would not walk around late at night. This is also true in other parts of the city, but some areas are worse than others. You cannot turn on the TV news without hearing about horrible crimes and murders the night before. If you have grown up in NYC, you are used to this and may in fact not be bothered because you know this has been worse in the past. If you are, however, moving to the city from a safer and quieter area, you may be shocked at the amount of violent crime that still exists.
Pierre Calza…, Other Pro,
Sat Jul 14, 2007
NYC is one of the safest, if not THE safest large cities in the U.S. - I want to address some important Brooklyn facts before people absorb crime stats for this ONE borough of New York City. The link at the bottom gives you a precinct by precinct, borough by borough - MONTHLY and yearly perspective on crime in NYC.

Brooklyn, on it's own, without the other 4 boroughs would be one of the top 5 largest cities in the COUNTRY. Brooklyn, ALONE, has 2.5 million residents. This is not counting illegals, and those not counted by the last census. Brooklyn, is HUGE, just look at the map for NYC and look at the breadth/width of Brooklyn compared to the other boroughs, it is also densely populated.

Brooklyn also has an AMAZINGLY diverse Real Estate market - Coops, Condos, Lofts, Brownstones, Detached Mansions, Ranch, Victorian homes from the early 1800's, and more. Price ranges in Brooklyn go from the low mid 400's to the Millions, and neighborhoods are as unique as the people that live in the city. Is Brooklyn safe? It is as safe as Manhattan is, or any other borough. And just like any other borough or Manhattan, at night certain areas are less savory than others - at night. Even the Upper East Side of Manhattan, where you find multi-million dollar apartments, had a rapist terrorizing women for years. So, do not look at Brooklyn as being any more unsafe than any other NYC borough. It truly is a case by case, block by block issue for anywhere in NYC.
Michele, Renter, Flatbush - Ditmas Park, Brooklyn, NY
Sat Jun 26, 2010
East Flatbush is not safe.I really cant afford a safer place right now.And dont believe the NYPD numbers about lower crime rates.When my car was stolen they tried to talk me out of filing a police report.The police officer told me "your not going to get it back anyway so why are you wasting your time making a report"
Mariya, Home Buyer, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY
Fri Jun 25, 2010
Having lived in Midwood for 10 years, I feel pretty safe. Just don't go to more dangerous neighborhoods (Canarsie, Red Hook, BenSty, etc).
Dario Saliha…, , Flatbush - Ditmas Park, Brooklyn, NY
Fri Jun 25, 2010
The man has been shot dead two others were wounded recently in Flatbush , you know.(check out the link)
And u asking is this safe place to live?!
I knew him, he was my neighbor, guy probably got out to buy a pack of cigarettes, and ended up laying on the 22nd street. dying, because some scumbag fancied to test his gun right there and right at that time.! is that SAFE? or is that safe when u want to take a little walk around your neighborhood .. like around 11 'oclock and getting stabbed by some psycho, or shot wounded,
And things like that happening every time. The problem is that no mass media will put it in a spotlight until the case would be solved, and Kings county police, as everyone knows is 'not the best' in NY
Sometimes i ask meself: why i'm still here? but my question is much tougher than yours..
So you asking 'Is crime an issue in Brooklyn?' , my answer: You are the one who will decide, but i strongly recommend you to bother yourself tracking down some helpful information on i-net about crime in all 5 counties , i'm sure you will find the truth
Lana Headley, Agent, Brooklyn, NY
Tue May 22, 2007
Crime in general has been reduced in Brooklyn. The NYPD has done a good job in lowering the crime rate. In the area East Flatbush, crime has been lower than in the past years.
Alicia Gordon, Agent,
Mon Apr 23, 2007
Crime has been reduced dramatically in the past 5 - 6 years. NYPD has taken many steps to inprove the quality of life and it certainley shows. More families and elderly people are enjoying the safe streets and parks here in Brooklyn.
Sonni Woodbu…, , Prospect Heights
Mon Apr 23, 2007
NYC is experiencing lowest levels of crime in many years.