Interested in buying a house in Florida and have seen AANTV.COM. Seem to be going cheap. Is this a safe area to be in? How about airport noise? Thanks

Asked by Marc, Oakland County, MI Sat Sep 17, 2011

I am in foreclosure here in Michigan due to partners death. I have cash to buy elsewhere. The mortgage is not in my name so my credit is great and will remain that way. Any sites I can go to to compare areas? I will be bringing my elderly mother and I may leave her there alone in the summers while I return north. Wondering if this is wise. She is healthy and mobile and loves Florida whereas I am not a great fan so I want to summer in Michigan or near family in Ohio. Any thoughts or help is appreciated. I've been watching homes in the Lee county area and want one in a safe community or area of the county. Also concerned with hurricane insurance. Is it expensive? I believe Lee county is in a no flood zone so no flood insurance is required according to AANTV people. Also what is with the Chinese drywall and is there a way to tell if a home has it and what has to be done if it does? When was it used and when was it banned[if it was]? I know this is a lot of questions but I do appreciate it

Answers

9
Kerwvin Fish…, Home Buyer, Walnut Creek, CA
Sun May 19, 2013
What ever you do don't buy from aantv
david.exodus, Home Buyer, New Port Richey, FL
Sat Nov 24, 2012
AANTV has a curiously large percentage of home for sale from the Chinese drywall era. Beautiful homes sitting empty. When I called them with my concerns regarding CD their rep acted "uninterested"? I believe that any purchase from an auction is sold AS IS. I've searched the listing addresses on Google, checked the last price sold, usually a couple of months ago, and $20-30K less than price sold for on auction night. Albeit the homes seem "spruced up" nicely for the auctions. Curiously, I've seen the same "sold" homes put on the auction block as much as 3 times.
It would be nice if they would make the bidding process more transparent so that one could actually see the identify of the bids coming in.
Cherie, Home Owner, Washington
Tue Jun 19, 2012
Stay away from AAVTV Tthey are Crooks
Sarah Garrett, Agent, Fort Myers, FL
Thu Sep 22, 2011
Hi there,
All my family has moved here from MI and KY and I would love to help you explore the area for the perfect house for you and your mother. Cash is king here when it comes to foreclosures so you should be fine. It you elect to do a mortgage then all you will need is a pre-approval letter to present with your offer. Your home insurance will be based on the age, size and amenities and will be comparable to homes up north. Most of Lehigh is 22-26 ft above sea level and would not require flood insurance. Taxes are low because assessed values are about 1/3 - 1/4 of past 2005 purchase prices. You can enjoy shopping previews of the Florida Gulf Coast MLS from my linked site below. You will be sent daily reports of the most up to date listing service available. Most of the Chinese "defective" drywall homes have been bought up by construction companies and investors. Quite a number of them are being resold as having been remediated (replaced drywall, pourous materials cleaned and sealed, replaced wiring, appliances etc. I will look forward to answering any other questions you have. Happy to help!

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
ALLIANCE REALTY GROUP
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2011" by Gulfshore Life Magazine
Email: sarahgarrett@argfl.com
Tom Priester, Agent, Tequesta, FL
Mon Sep 19, 2011
Marc,

If your name is not on the note for the property being foreclosed upon you should be golden. Not sure I would be bidding on auction sites without a very thorough knowledge of the area or property as you could be in for a surprise. You can get some fantastic bargains on some auction sites but you would be well advised of first selecting an area you want to relocate and working with an agent who can truly provide you a service to make knowledgeable purchasing decisions. So much has to do with you particular needs and that too will make a difference in answers to your questions. For instance if you are looking at condos windstorm insurance for the building will be covered in your association fees. This will also be the case in many town home communities. Chinese drywall was not wisely used but and buyer, especially of homes built or remodeled during 2004 to 2008 should be looked into very carefully as the remediation is very expensive. The latest project I was involved ran about $150,000 but is was a large single family home.

Having been from Jacksonville to Key West and Naples to Pensacola and most points in between I know the state very well. There are some amazing places to call home but many differences in weather, lifestyle and landscape; stay below Vero Beach on the east coast and Sarasota on the west coast if you want the best winter weather. The best place I can point you is a brief blog I did about the Jupiter area;

http://tompriester.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/jupiter-rocks/

As a resident of Jupiter, I work throughout Palm Beach and Martin Counties, and a great place to start is by defining your goals and comparing the lifestyles and housing costs of areas that you are interested in. There are so many different options available to us that reside in the state and I have selected Jupiter because of the quality of life that we enjoy. From my viewpoint, there is no finer place to reside that the Jupiter area; from the best schools, to a fantastic economy fueled by many factors and of course the wonderful facilities of Max Planck and Scripps Institute, to incredible unspoiled beaches, unbelievable dining and shopping options, numerous boating and golf opportunities, uncrowded streets, low crime and just the overall kindness of our residents. Recently we were out with a client form New York who commented on just how nice everyone is; and why not as we are truly lucky to live in Paradise.

I work almost entirely as a buyers agent in Palm Beach and Martin Counties and certainly would be honored to be on the list of Realtors® you interview and happy to be of assistance in any way that I can. If you are in the area and would like a tour I would enjoy showing you why I am so fortunate to call Jupiter my hometown.

I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference:  http://www.tompriester.com
Larry Fuller, Agent, Lehigh Acres, FL
Sun Sep 18, 2011
There are many senior citizens living in Lehigh Acres year round it just as safe as any other place in Southwest Florida, Agents are no different that anyone else they bring their bias with them. Is it safe, explore it for yourself and do as another agent suggersted check with the local sheriff department. There is Chinese drywall believe it or not in Cape Coral as it is Lehigh Acres. Simple put, it is a defecrive drywall imported from China that gives off an order and can destory copper in you AC and electrical equipment and is a health issue.

Do your research before deciding on any community here in Florida, now that is my two-cent worth.
Marc Comisar, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Sun Sep 18, 2011
Check out the Lee county sherrifs website for crime stats.....

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Bonita-Estero-RealEstate.com
Danielle Sha…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Sat Sep 17, 2011
Hi Marc,

I moved here from Oakland County almost 4 years ago and don't regret it - all of my family still lives there. Summer here is not for everyone either.

Lee county does have areas that require flood insurance although if you are paying cash the types of insurance you carry are solely your decision. Hurricane coverage is included with your homeowner's policy and is not an extra premium. Insurance rates do vary and are more expensive than what you'll be used to up there. Older homes and/or roofs will bump your insurance premiums over newer homes.

Chinese drywall ranges from obvious to not. There are certain physical symptoms (smell, electrical wire discoloration, mirrors silvering etc.) to keep an eye out for and it is something that most inspectors will include as a visual inspection during the course of your home inspection. Property built from 2001-2008 have the possibility of having been built with it. It hasn't been banned. This may be a helpful resource:http://www.cpsc.gov/info/drywall/index.html.

For safety, crime rates etc I highly recommend checking out http://www.sheriffleefl.org and http://www.city-data.com.

If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great weekend!

Danielle
Cell 248.207.4445
sharphomes@yahoo.com
Web Reference:  http://www.mysharphomes.com
Kevin Clouti…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Sat Sep 17, 2011
Hi Marc,

Southwest Florida, Cape Coral specifically is has been rated the #1 place to retire in the entire US!

We have lots to offer you and your mother and you may find you can visit back home in summer if you feel its too hot. I visit back in Maine and all is perfect here in Paradise the rest of the time.

I want to know what you are looking for and a budget. Properties are moving very quickly here and you should know that you need to act quickly if you see so something you like. Trulia isn't the best and most updated site but a good place to ask questions.

Call me directly and toll free if you want my help or you can e-mail me

Kevin@kevincloutier.com
108770840.3413 Toll Free RE Hotline

Cheers

Kevin Cloutier Realtor
Cape Coral, FL
Web Reference:  http://www.kevincloutier.com