I've looked at the lay out and the break down of this area a bit. Looks "medium sketchy" to me, I'm curious as to how real residents feel. Thoughts?

Asked by Kevin Nelson, Atlanta, GA Thu May 31, 2012

Answers

6
Lorin, Home Buyer, Atlanta, GA
Tue Jan 27, 2015
Hello!

I would just like to provide a recent update on this area for any future home buyers/renters. I recently moved into this area (within the past 6 months) and have found it to be an excellent area to live in! The major con is the noise from the trains going by, but if you can find a good unit that is not close to the tracks (i.e. across from 16th St/17th St) you will be very happy!

The are has a very mixed community, between students and professionals. I have found my neighbors to be respect, and have never felt unsafe running/walking in the area. Being close to Atlantic Station is a huge plus! You can walk to get groceries and shop at Target, or any of the other stores in the area. Overall, I have been an extremely satisfied renter in the Atlantic Station area and am strongly considering buying a condo in this area!

Happy house hunting!
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Fri Jun 1, 2012
Lay out?

Break down?

"medium sketchy?"

Walk the streets, interview the beat cops and get to know what's what.

I like Home Park, Berkeley Park, Underwood Hills and Loring Heights over that way - if you are a buyer in these neighborhoods, then know that all of them require street by street, neighbor by neighbor evaluation.

Atlantic Station and GA Tech skew the crime stats, so scrap most of what you think you already know, and get to know value.

Inside the city limits of ATL, a person is 4 times more likely to be the victim of violent crime...start there with your "break down..."
Kevin Nelson, Renter, Atlanta, GA
Mon Jun 4, 2012
You were all very informative and helpful in my decision. Thank you
Katya Cooper, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Fri Jun 1, 2012
Hi! i agree with Bruce. I know a lot of GA students who live around that area.
its not the nicest place you can be at but its not bad!
Also its a geeeat area to have an investment property
Bruce Ailion, Agent, Marietta, GA
Fri Jun 1, 2012
I have happily owned investment property in Home Park. This is an area that has a higher population of tenants and many GA Tech students. Unlike midtown, Morningside and Virginia Highlands east of 75/85 there has not been the same degree of regentrification. To live North of 10th and within in 2 miles of downtown and midtown, this is the most affordable location you will find. The homes tend to be smaller, more likely to be frame over brick than other area. There are other area's south of Ponce where you can find similar housing and pricing but on the north of 10th this is your best bet.
Christian Ro…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Fri Jun 1, 2012
Hi, Kevin:

I am not a resident but from someone that is always in the area it seems as though the 'targets' that we hear about are mainly college students. Check the crime stats at APD and go down to the #11 Fire Precinct and talk with the firefighters - they will certainly give it to you straight. Also, Home Park has neighborhood association meetings that will probably give you an in depth perspective of the good and the challenges. APD has increased patrols in and around the area as well. Hope that helps until a resident answers!

Christan Ross, Realtor
Chapman Hall Realty
http://www.AtlantaMaven.com