I need to get out of my lease there is a lot of crime and drugs in the apartment below me and i have a smell for them in my home. how can i get out?

Asked by Ldkray2, Mon Jan 9, 2012

I have called the police multiple times, landlord said the people below us were to be out at the end of dec. and its now way passed that and the smells just keep getting worse and my children are always sick. HELP!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Tue Jan 10, 2012
LD, have you tried to ask your landlord to allow you to end your lease early without penalty? Or to ask him if you can switch to another unit he rents?
0 votes
Dawn Marthini, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Mon Jan 9, 2012
There are avenues to help, but you can't just leave (unfortunately). If you're living in an apartment complex, ask management if there is an "anti-crime" lease addendum in your lease. That could be used to get your neighbors out. Otherwise, I would suggest calling the the police and report the smells, symptoms, and any suspicious activity that you see. If you still feel that your place has been contaminated, I would make a written complaint (detailing all the evidence you have) to the landlord or management company. I'm sorry you're dealing with this with you kids- no one deserves that! Best of luck to you in your fight.

Web Reference:  http://www.dawnmartini.com
0 votes
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Mon Jan 9, 2012
You are entitled to a safe place to live. If the odors are related to illegal activity like drug manufacturing you probably have a legal excuse to leave. I'm not an attorney, but I've attached a link to the AZ landlord Tenant Act. Search the PDF for the word safe and see if it pertains. If you have any doubts, an attorney or the State Attorney General office may be able to guide you.
0 votes
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Mon Jan 9, 2012
Hello Ldkray2,
I suggest that you look at your lease to see if a clause is in there regarding your home becoming inhabitable and a risk to your health. Most lease agreements do contain some type of language on this.

You may also wish to consider consulting a local real estate attorney to assist you. The local housing authority may offer counsel to you as well.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
0 votes
Jean-Leon Ma…, Agent, Tempe, AZ
Mon Jan 9, 2012
I would suggest consulting with a renter's advocate. They typically can get you out of a lease for a nominal charge. Good luck!
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more