I'm looking for general information on neighborhood safety in certain neighborhoods in Urbana, IL.

Asked by Joy Howard, Champaign, IL Mon May 25, 2009

I'm house hunting in the Urbana/Champaign area. I'm specifically interested in any information regarding neighborhood safety in neighborhoods adjacent to Urbana High School. Are these safe neighborhoods to live in? Is there any vandalism history I should be concerned about? Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Answers

7
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon May 25, 2009
The best resource for this information is the local police department or the county sheriff's department. They have access to the most current and accurate information and are generally very willing to be helpful.

Vanhai, Home Buyer, Mattoon, IL
Wed Nov 9, 2016
Buying a house is a type of investment. I don't think Champaign - Urbana is a good place for buying house now because the appreciation seems going down or the market values of the houses are decreasing.

The decision of where and when to buy, when to sell can help you to maintain your asset or make it going up. You may want to rent a house to live in a place near your work and use the money you have to buy a house in an appreciating market.

Hai Nguyen - http://www.marketcycles.info
stoneridges…, Other Pro, Urbana, IL
Thu Dec 11, 2014
The area to the west of Urbana High School is a lovely historical neighborhood that is very safe. There are some college students that live in that area, as well as families. I agree with the previous post to check with the local police station for up to date information.
Steve Roake, Agent, Naperville, IL
Thu Aug 27, 2009
My website has a "research a community" information link where you can search by zip code or town. It also provides lots of other community specific information in addition to crime statistics. You can compare different areas to see which has more or less crime and other stats.

Tt, Home Buyer, Urbana, IL
Thu Aug 27, 2009
Urbana police department has "crime map" available online. http://www.city.urbana.il.us/, find police, then find report. The most updated one is 2008.
Jeffrey Bark…, Agent, Champaign, IL
Wed Aug 26, 2009
For information like crime and vandalism statistics I would suggest you contact the Urbana police department. I'm sure they would be happy to share with you. In researching neighborhood stats like these it is important to compare areas as opposed to getting info on only one or two areas. The numbers may be misleading until you look at a broader view of a community.
Joy Howard, Home Buyer, Champaign, IL
Wed May 27, 2009
Thank you, Bill. I'll do that.