Leslie, Home Buyer in

I have looked on the M steets and like the area( although I wish there was more consistency in the homes) but have been told that the crime and bars

Asked by Leslie, "M" Streets, Dallas, TX Sun Feb 21, 2010

are effecting the value and resale of the homes.Is the crime really bad and is resale down?

Answers

8
Leslie

I have girlfriends in the Ms that love it and I have girlfriends that hate it. It is not the suburbs. It is Urban, close to everything and close enough for my friends to walk to dinner, etc.

My girlfriends have not had issues with "crime" but one does complain about traffic.

What's your lifestyle like and does it jive with being hip and active?

:-)

Rebekah Owen, MBA
Managing Broker
Benchmark Properties.com
Leslie,
Crime in the M Streets/ Lakewood area is no worse than any other part of Dallas actually. Yes, there are bars etc in the area but resale is NOT down. In fact, sales figures have taken an increase every year, even in our current market condition.

When you buy in the M Streets, you are buying life style in one of the original neighborhoods of Dallas. This includes some premier tudor architecture from the 20's and 30's that you don;t find in other parts of Dallas, or Texas for that matter. These are historical neighborhoods, strong homeowners association. It's like living in a small towmn in the middle of the big city. If you can't tell, I lived there a LONG time and loved every minute of it. The location to the Arboretum, the Lake and the arts is primo as are the restaurants.

Now, when you are looking in the M Streets know that each block, each type of architecture and degree of updates bring with it different prices...and older homes need a lot of maintenance and upkeep. If you are looking at new construction thats a different situation.

If you want any help or info let me know. You can call me at 214-534-2020 or e mail me at hkaruba@virginaicook.com.

Best of luck
Helen
Keep in mind opinions are subjective--For your crime concerns, the best source of information is the local police department, why not stop in and ask all your questions and hear all firsthand--why not drive/visit the area more than once and at different times of day, look at everything of importance to you, possibly chat with some locals if the opportunity arises-- and make a determination--will your comfort level be reached.
Consistency in M streets ? I am unconfirmed what you mean by that statement. If you are not familiar it is historic area of Dallas some wonderful homes been updated. The sq. ft. increase for years, maintain the value based on other areas of Dallas.

I use to reside in that area leased, sold homes, still have personal friends who homes are there.

Regards to crime / bars. if you are close to Greenville Ave. YES there are bars however many of homes in entire area not that close.

Check PD site for stat's in that area.

Lynn911
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Realtors
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Here is a crime map for the city of Dallas. You can play with it and narrow it down to the neighborhood you want. Also, note that the crime info. for February haven't been loaded yet.

http://maps.dallascityhall.com/index.asp?ExtentLeft=2489768.…

Naima
214-289-8555
Naima@Sumner-Realty.com
Web Reference: http://www.SumnerRealty.com
The M Streets are a coveted area. If you enjoy what the area has to offer - you take the good and the bad. The M Streets area has had some market fluctuations but that may be more due to the over extension of credit and the high prices of the early to mid 2000 market. The reality of the last 2 years have brought the prices down so you could take advantage of the market and buy low.

The bars are part of the neighborhood and always have been. They are not the cause and effect of pricing in the area. The market is controlled by the access to lending, ready and able consumers who can purchase and sell homes, and the desire of those who want to live in that area. It is an opinion - when a person says that they are bringing down the prices. Crime can be determined by checking with local authorities and stats for the area.

As for the consistency of the area, it is part of the charm. New construction, remodeled homes, some seem as if they have stoofd still for the last 50 plus years, all make up the area. Its an area that relative and trying to meet the needs of those who desire to live in the area.

If you like it and want to live there - go for it! If you would like to work with agent who knows the area - feel free to contact me. 214-862-2457 Patricia McCrite Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Resale values as a whole are down in many different areas. My grandparents have lived in this neighborhood for more than 60 years and have never had any problems. Yes you are located close to a bar district which can be a pain on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and St Pattys day. Ultimately it will depend on what type of home you are looking for. You can find the original tudor and bungalo type houses starting anywhere from the high 100s to mid 300s depending no condition. There are also new construction McMansions that are priced extremely high and in the past few years these type of homes have definitely seen a drop in value.

However living in that area it is going to be prone to more traffic and that has been and will be that way for quite some time.

If you are not working with a Realtor I would love to help you out. I provide A+ Services and rebate 20% of my commission to all my buyers.

RJ
214-682-0598
The only real advice to give you in terms of the crime is to research the numbers via the county website or by contacting the local PD. Now resale value is something any Realtor can provide and let you know if there in fact has been a change. Comparing the average sold price of a home in the M streets area from August 2009 to February 2010 and those sold during the same 6 months the previous year, the reality is the resale value for homes have increased. This year the average sales price was $427,750 compared to $396,162 the previous year. These numbers are based on raw data and facts directly from the MLS and they seem to be discounting the claims of those who think differently.
If you'd like the specifics of the report I pulled, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to share it with you.
Rob@RKRegan.com
Web Reference: http://www.RKRegan.com