I am looking to rent a home in the area and I'm moving from out of state. How safe is the area around Nevada State College (e.g., mission hills)?

Asked by melissa.dengler, Henderson, NV Mon Apr 29, 2013

I am worried about not being able to visit the house before I rent due to financial and feasibility (NEED to finish my dissertation and graduate) reasons. I am also looking for my rent to stay around 1,000 or 1,100 so I am a bit limited. Are there any neighborhoods I should avoid? Do you know if Trulia is accurate?

Answers

5
Thomas, Home Buyer, Henderson, NV
Thu May 23, 2013
I just retired and bought a home maybe a 1/2 a mile from NSC, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Very quiet, very clean, but right near the 93/95 and boulder hwy, so you have access to whatever you need without the tourist and hustle and bustle of living in Vegas. There are condos for rent on the other side of wagonwheel Dr which I know are available, but I don't know the going rate, buying a small townhome in paradise court maybe more feasible/ but prices are going up big time since last year. The crash in Nevada is over for sure. Good luck! and you'll love mission Hills, lots of parks, recreation trails, low crime, nice people...Good Luck!
Lenora Pauls…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Mon Apr 29, 2013
It seems all below have stated it correctly and given you the sites needed to do your own due diligence.
As any community can have crime happen even if there were none to speak of prior to. You may want to try a month to month rental, this way, you can do your own investigation into some of the communities nearby that may suit your needs and then do a 6mo-1yr rental. Or may decide the month to month works great.
Kimberly Pan…, Agent, Henderson, NV
Mon Apr 29, 2013
BTW~ Crime can happen any where.
Kimberly Pan…, Agent, Henderson, NV
Mon Apr 29, 2013
So sorry a realtor can not answer this. However, calling the Las Vegas METRO's non-emergency # and asking for any neighborhood safer zip codes will help you. They have monthly reports of crime by zip codes. Also, call the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce and the college. They can help you too.
Frank Nason, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Mon Apr 29, 2013
I would Bing/Google 'las vegas crime statistics and use one or more of the services that report crimes or use this link from Metro's website: http://www.crimemapping.com/map/nv/lasvegas

No real estate professional should try to answer your question as 'safe' doesn't have any objective definition and could open up a professional to a lawsuit or disciplinary action. Good luck!