John Doe, Other/Just Looking in Danville, IL

How safe is west seattle ?

Asked by John Doe, Danville, IL Thu Mar 24, 2011

Answers

10
No agent nor Realtor may provide you with their opinion on this subject, however all the crime stats are public and can be found if you Google the subject for each city. Best of luck.
Spirit
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 24, 2011
definitely safer than Oakland :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 24, 2011
Like every neighborhood in Seattle, there are better parts than other. The best thing is to explore the neighborhood with a knowledgable real estate agent to determine the good, the bad and the ugly!
I have several friends that have moved to West Seattle in the past 5 years. They are 30-something couples starting families and found more affordable houses there that they could grow into. As with any large neighborhood area there are good parts and bad. You need to talk to an agent that will show you the preferred areas to live. West Seattle is a beautiful area to live! While I wouldn't rely on statics alone, trulia has a community page that may interest you: http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/West_Seattle-Washington/co…
Hi "John",

You can get great information at the oficial city of Seattle website: http://ci.seattle.wa.us . If you use Windows Explorer, you may find that Bing search is the easiest way to pull up the site.

For your information, you can use this url pattern to find the official site for any city in the United States: ci.cityname.stateabbreviation.us .

Also, on one of my web sites, karenmcknight.kwrealty.com , there is a link to good research on Seattle under the "Communities I Serve" title.

Good luck in your research. I think you will find properties in the Seattle area more expensive than in Danville.

Warm Regards,
Karen
West Seattle is a big place. You really need to check it out for yourself, and not rely on abstract statistics.
My main complaint about West Seattle would be getting there over the West Seattle Bridge. My second complaint would be it's still subject to the control of Seattle's government, which is only a good thing if you want to operate a small business out of your house.
John,
Years ago we moved to W. Seattle from Bellevue. My wife was concerned with safety so we called a local police precinct there. As it turns out, compared to where we were living, it was safer. Anything can happen in any neighborhood, but some do have more issues than others. As Kary and Tonya have suggested, do your research and decide what your comfort level is.
I've attached a link from the Seattle Police as a place to get started.
Compared to what? I personally wouldn't live in West Seattle, but we all have our own preferences. P.S. Kary has some great advice below! This is definetly research you will want to do on your own.
Real estate agents are not likely to give you that information because it can be seen as steering. Google Seattle Crime Statistics to find the SPD's crime stats. They have pretty good information on different types of crime. I'd probably look at the aggregations, such as property and violent crime, because the details could overwhelm you. You can then make your own decisions.