Hey Mary and all Respondents!
I know this response is late but here is some key advice when working with military buyers!
As a retired miltary vet who works with military members often in home buying & selling, please consider this:
Military home buyers have many critical questions and considerations that must be met when they're looking for a home. Understanding the needs & desires of a military family is important, different than your average civilian buyer, and are more important than just finding a house they like.
1) Military spouses & children are often alone for months at a time while the other spouse is deployed. Safety and security for a young military spouse is critical !!! Although steering is against real estate laws & ethics, you do need to ensure your buyer checks crime trackers for the area they like, and be really familiar yourself with the area so if your buyer asks you, you can provide an accurate, non-opinionated answer.
2) Military families tend to be younger with young children. These children may have to change schools multiple times during their youth, so quality of schools (teachers, infrastructure, peer groups) is important to ensure the easiest transition and development in their new school. Be prepared to provide school website info and public data on the schools in the area.
3) Military buyer's transfer in & out of Tinker AFB every 3-5 years, sometimes less. Never buying the top of the market in a new neighborhood is important because they can be handcuffed with a home they can't sell because their home will have to compete against new homes at potentially the same price.
4) Military member's almost always have maximum recall distances or time to return to base when military duites require it. You need to ask & understand these requirements when assisting them in choosing areas of town keeping in mind traffic patterns and the effect of weather on travel.
Location and drive time to the base is key!
5) Lastly, because most military buyers are new to the area, they really do need your assistance in understanding more than just the buying process. Schools, parks, shopping, best gas stations, restaurants, things to do, base support services. Prepare yourself to be a wealth of knowledge, they will need it and deserve it for all they do & sacrifice everyday.
I consider it an honor to work with every service member, I know you will too!
Churchill-Brown & Associates