Hi !! My husband wants to buy a house near Tinker ...( as he is a veteran). What areas are very safe and not "junky" looking?

Asked by Mary K. Barrett, Oklahoma City, OK Thu May 24, 2012

Answers

6
Tim Hansen’s answer
Tim Hansen, Agent, Edmond, OK
Sun Feb 10, 2013
Hey Mary and all Respondents!

I know this response is late but here is some key advice when working with military buyers!
As a retired miltary vet who works with military members often in home buying & selling, please consider this:

Military home buyers have many critical questions and considerations that must be met when they're looking for a home. Understanding the needs & desires of a military family is important, different than your average civilian buyer, and are more important than just finding a house they like.

1) Military spouses & children are often alone for months at a time while the other spouse is deployed. Safety and security for a young military spouse is critical !!! Although steering is against real estate laws & ethics, you do need to ensure your buyer checks crime trackers for the area they like, and be really familiar yourself with the area so if your buyer asks you, you can provide an accurate, non-opinionated answer.

2) Military families tend to be younger with young children. These children may have to change schools multiple times during their youth, so quality of schools (teachers, infrastructure, peer groups) is important to ensure the easiest transition and development in their new school. Be prepared to provide school website info and public data on the schools in the area.

3) Military buyer's transfer in & out of Tinker AFB every 3-5 years, sometimes less. Never buying the top of the market in a new neighborhood is important because they can be handcuffed with a home they can't sell because their home will have to compete against new homes at potentially the same price.

4) Military member's almost always have maximum recall distances or time to return to base when military duites require it. You need to ask & understand these requirements when assisting them in choosing areas of town keeping in mind traffic patterns and the effect of weather on travel.
Location and drive time to the base is key!

5) Lastly, because most military buyers are new to the area, they really do need your assistance in understanding more than just the buying process. Schools, parks, shopping, best gas stations, restaurants, things to do, base support services. Prepare yourself to be a wealth of knowledge, they will need it and deserve it for all they do & sacrifice everyday.

I consider it an honor to work with every service member, I know you will too!

Tim Hansen
Churchill-Brown & Associates
405-812-4646
amfamilyhomes@gmail.com
http://www.amfamilyhomes.com
Thanks Tim..and God bless you for your service! Since I posted that question...I learned that we have to sell our other house FIRST because it is through a VA loan. We have a realtor working on it, but MAN is it taking a long time!! In 3 months there has only been 1 showing!! We need to just get it SOLD!!
Flag Mon Feb 11, 2013
Bill Hayden, Agent, Edmond, OK
Thu May 24, 2012
Hi Mary,
In order to help you, while it’s not appropriate to start making excuses, I am because of the length of my reply. You’re being provided with loads of information from the other respondents.

As a suggestion for you...please go to my website http://www.billhaydenrealty.com and on the Home page on the upper tool bar click on the center button labeled OKC Metro MLS a new page will come up. Enter the Zip Code 73160 (this is a Moore Zip) click the search button. This will bring up all of the homes currently for sale in this Zip Code beginning with the cheapest. Just scroll on the page numbers for the price of homes you are looking for. You can also use this for other Zip Codes as well, MLS numbers, and addresses. I've found Zip Codes give the best results though when you want to see available homes in this Zip.

To find additional Zip Codes….I’m partial to Google Search. Just type in “Oklahoma City Metro Zip Code Map” this will bring up several sites with Zip Codes listed. About.com is a good one and simple.

Once you identify the homes you and your husband are interested in and as Bridgett mentioned go to http://www.news9.com on the page that comes up click on crime, a new page will come up. On the right hand side scroll down about midway to the “Crime Tracker” button. Enter the address of the home you’re interested in and different colored balloons will appear base upon the type of crimes in the area...no balloons, no crime! :) Once you zero in on a specific home go tour the neighborhood on different days and times of the week.

Mary, should you have any questions, concerns, or need additional help, please do not hesitate to contact me 405 - 562 - 0886 or e-mail: bill@billhaydenrealty.com
Wells Bridge…, Agent, OKC, OK
Thu May 24, 2012
Hi Mary,

http://www.news9.com has a link to Crime Tracker. This is a great tool to check the crime reports for any area that you want.

There are a lot of nice areas near Tinker. I'd be happy to show you around if you like.

Bridgett Wells
651-9320

bridgettwells@kw.com
John Phillips, , Oklahoma City, OK
Thu May 24, 2012
Hi Mary:
Just about all of NE oklahoma city, Sw Midwest City, There are a couple of neighborhoods in that area which are within a mile of tinker, Almost any part of Moore especially the Neast and South east side of Moore, It is only a few miles to Tinker:
There are a lot of new neighborhood they are being built or already built east of Post road to Choctaw on both side of I-40, Very nice homes:

If you will tell me waht you are looking for in a home I will gladly send you homes from all of these areas<

Thank You
John Phillips
Re/Max Preferred Properties
405 413 0791
jphillips81@cox.net
Josh Barnett, Agent, Chandler, OK
Thu May 24, 2012
The term "junky" is not objective and subject to your specific personal opinions or feelings.

A better question you need to ask your spouse and yourself is, "what is our maximum payment that willing to pay and what will this payment qualify us for in sales price?"

With this question answered, your husband and you will be able to better preview neighborhoods in your price range and these actions will answer your question.

Moreover, answering this question above could be considered steering, and this is illegal in most states, especially if the buyer is using any federal loan, such as a VA loan.

Hope this helps,

Josh Barnett, Realtor
Thanx Josh...and we are using his VA loan. I didn't know asking this could get someone in hot water. Sorry!
Flag Thu May 24, 2012
Joanna Haley, Agent, Oklahoma City Oklahoma 73118, OK
Thu May 24, 2012
There are a lot of great areas in Moore and surrounding areas. Give me a call and I can set up a search for you 405-570-2337