Crime & Safety in Quincy>Question Details

Nancy, Home Buyer in Quincy, MA

Does cigarette smoke affect a radon test.?

Asked by Nancy, Quincy, MA Wed Nov 19, 2008

A radon test is being done in the home. The person living in the home smokes. Will this affect the radon test?

Answers

4
Darren Birks’ answer
Hi Nancy, try this website http://www.accustarlabs.com. That's the testing company I go through for my radon tests. If you need anything else I would love to help. I live in Quincy so im close by. --- Darren 617-877-3655
Web Reference: http://www.accustarlabs.com
Hey Nancy, it should not. Hope this helps.

David Laven
Quincy RE Expert
"check my web reference to view 100's of Quincy homes for sale!"
No, it won't. What does affect it is how "sealed" the home is. You want to test it under "Normal" circumstances - not when all the doors and windows have been open (that will lead to abnormally low results) and not when the house has been vacant and been sealed up completely for a week (which will lead to abnormally high results). In any case, putting in the vent system is relatively cheap, so no one should get panicked. Honestly, the cost is only about double what the test cost. I kind of think if you're worried about it, just put the darn system in. Radon comes and goes. Because it's not there when you buy the home doesn't mean it won't be there when you live there.
Ask a Radon Specialist, however, I do not believe the cigarette smoke will trigger a poor Radon reading. Smoking in a home is stinky enough but it shouldn't trigger a false reading. Radon is a naturally occurring "invisible" and "odorless" gas produced buy decaying matter in the earth. Some areas have stronger "prongs" of Radon, like Pennsylvania, areas of New Jersey, (Called The Reading Prong), some areas of NY. Check with your local Radon specialists regarding your concerns.