Crime & Safety in San Jose>Question Details

someone200, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

Do County Sheriff officers go on patrol in the territory of West San Jose?

Asked by someone200, San Jose, CA Sat Mar 3, 2012

Or only in those contracted cities?

Help the community by answering this question:


Dear Someone 200:

There are some "unincorporated islands" within San Jose. These areas are where the Sheriff's office patrols. To see these areas, go to Then type in a house number and street name in the address box and a five digit zip code in the zip code box. A map will come up. The grey background is incorporated and the beige is unincorporated. You can pan and zoom to explore.

You can touch the + signs in the left and see lots of information, such as who represents the address in Congress and the State Legislature, what school district the address is in, and what the sales tax rates are for that address. Please tool around in the site as much as you like. I am its developer. I would appreciate your feedback by email to

Good luck in your search for a home. If you would like help from an agent, please call me at 408-639-0211. I've been a realtor since 2004 and have represented over a hundred buyers and sellers as well as written almost a hundred loans.

Mitchell Pearce
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 3, 2012
Contact them directly for specific areas they cover:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 3, 2012
If I were you, I would go in to the Sheriff's office and ask them.
Seems like the simplest solution.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 3, 2012
No sure what area of W. San Jose you are talking about. There were pockets of San Jose near Campbell, for instance, that were in the county and they would patrol that area. Now that pocket was getting turned over to Campbell so Campbell police took over the patrol of that area.

Pat Chadwell, broker
Realty World - Residential Specialists
408-927-6565 x 11

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 3, 2012
Hi Someone200

Yes there are quite a few Un incorporated areas in West San Jose, patrolled by the Sheriff's Dept.
Also , from time to time due to vacations or shortage of personnel.

A town or city can request the Sheriffs Department to patrol or cite speeders.

There is inter departmental co operation, as well as requests from City or Towns.

Good luck.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 3, 2012
West San Jose is patrolled by the San Jose Police Department.

Saratoga and Cupertino, which are next to West San Jose, have contracts with the County Sheriff to provide Police Services to Saratoga and Cupertino.

Thank you,
Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 3, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer