Cathedral area-Joliet, IL : worth it? Or should we spend our money elsewhere?

Asked by Brendaly, 60445 Sun Aug 12, 2012

My husband and I are in love with the historic homes in the Cathedral area, Joliet, IL. but is the area bad? what is the crime rate? is it worth it? Our budget is not a lot around $140,000 Max. Is there a better neighborhood where I can find historic homes at that price range?

Answers

7
Michael Sims, Agent, Joliet, IL
Mon Mar 25, 2013
The Cathedral Area is a great area with your budget. Many of the homes are in the $120,000 to $220,000 range. You just have to look and keep a thumb on the market. Having a detailed search that will send you automated emails with the updates from the MLS will allow you to do that. I can assist and set up such a search for you. Email me or call at 815-791-7467 so we can discuss your other home requirements.
Riccardo War…, Agent, Bolingbrook, IL
Thu Jan 24, 2013
Hi Brendaly,

You should really have a great realtor on your side. I live in Joliet not too far from that area and so I can refer you a great agent that handles that area and can help you find others that may suit your needs. Give me a call if you want a referral or if you need to get prequalified. Good luck!

Sean Cochran
Quality Mortgage Lending
630-470-6830 office
630-330-2229 cell
http://www.qmlending.com
Roxanne Vene…, Home Seller, Joliet, IL
Wed Jan 23, 2013
I raised my children in Joliet just a few minutes down route 30 from the cathedral area. I grew up in New Lenox where the crime rate is very low. I always felt safe in Joliet.
Shari, Renter, Joliet, IL
Tue Oct 30, 2012
Depends on exactly where in the Cathedral area you are looking. Some areas ARE worse than others. Joliet overall isn't the greatest area... this coming from someone who has grown up here and lived all my life (27 years). BUT the houses are gorgeous and you CAN still find a great neighborhood here.
I would have to agree, rent first, some areas just aren't worth the money
Flag Sun May 25, 2014
Scarletbegon…, Home Buyer, Joliet, IL
Wed Aug 15, 2012
I currently live in the cathedral area, and i like it. i dont love it, but it's not the worst. crime happens, as it does everywhere. i know there is a home on buell that is being foreclosed on that is going for 180k. It's a beautiful home! I would recommend moving there if you are looking for a historic home!
Gina Schaal, Agent, Shorewood, IL
Sun Aug 12, 2012
I lived in the Cathedral area for many years and would love to go back. It's not for everyone but if you love the historic homes and understand what's involved in taking care of one of these beauties then you should consider the neighborhood. You will pay more for this type of home in other towns, but Joliet has it's own Charm with amenities that you don't find in other towns too.

Information about crime etc is available by zone at http://www.jolietpolice.org.

Call me if you have any other questions. I can help you determine if it's Worth it to YOU.
Gina Schaal
815-293-7325
http://www.REGoToGal.com
Bryan Kaspri…, Agent, Shorewood, IL
Sun Aug 12, 2012
Great neighborhood with a lot of good values. Call me and I can show you.