Boulevard Gardens (woodside)....safe to walk at night from the R train?

Asked by New Buyer, Queens, NY Wed Apr 2, 2008

I'm interested in purchasing a property in Boulevard Gardens and was wondering about the walking situation from the R train to the complex. Has anybody had any problems or any advice? Much would be appreciated.

Answers

5
Deyounggerry, , Pueblo, CO
Sat Sep 5, 2009
Any neighborhood can have its hazards. I personally carry a keychain pepper spray in case of mugging or a viscious dog attack. You just never know. I found this keychain at http://www.proselfdefenseproducts.com/macepeppersprays
For only a $10.00 investment I feel confident to walk anywhere and know I can handle a dog attack or whatever else comes my way.
Mary, Home Buyer, Astoria/Woodside
Fri Sep 12, 2008
Hi, I have lived here for over 5 years and have never had a problem. This is a pretty safe area especially by boulevard gardens . Those co-ops have 24 hour security and are very family oriented and safe. Neighbors look out for each other.
Adrian Manza…, , 11372
Thu May 8, 2008
woodside is a very safe neighbor hood. There are no bad sections. And by QB even more so.
Matthew Eggl…, , Queens, NY
Tue Apr 22, 2008
I live in the area (two streets away) and I walk to the 46th street stop (entrance on 48th). I have one friend who has lived in BVG for roughly 5 years. She has been happy there. For 6 or 7 years prior to that, she lived on 62nd (If I remember correctly) one block north of Northern Blvd. She has always liked this hood. I've lived here for 3 years and I always feel safe, but I also use common sense wherever I live.

You should still check with the authorities as the other two posters suggest, but I can offer one anecdote. I know two young women who were mugged nearby. They are very bright young girls, but one morning around 3 or 4 am they were ,by their own admission, stumbling home. They were physically assaulted and robbed. No weapons were used, but they were both hit, one in the face. It was a truly traumatic experience and I felt horrible for them. It also hurt to know that such a thing happened so close to my home. They have both understandably decided to move, but after some reflection, I realized that it could have happened anywhere in this (or any other) city. I still love this neighborhood blemishes and all.

All that having been said, if I were coming home to BVG from the R late at night I would get off at the 46th stop and walk the few extra blocks rather than come from Northern. Mostly because I know those streets, but also because that route has more multi and single family homes. People tend to loiter around the businesses on Northern and around the grounds of the public housing on 50th, not around the schools and on the more "residential" streets.
Lisa D'Amico, Agent, New York, NY
Thu Apr 3, 2008
You should go to the local police precinct and ask about the Incident Reports for the area. The precinct for Boulevard Gardens is located on Astoria Boulevard and 34th Street.